dctrud's Attempts to Make Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dctrud

Reaction score
First brewday after a 6+ year gap was two weeks ago, with bottling happening today, and I'm looking forward to trying the result in a few more weeks. Starting from scratch equipment wise after a transatlantic move, and limited myself to ordering <£75 of stuff to begin with. Only ever brewed small batches in the kitchen when I was in the US, and sticking with that now. Gas hob in the house we just moved into has a big wok burner, though... which is handy.

Decided to get back into it with a ~10L BIaB SMaSH of Golden Promise and EKG. Pleasantly surprised with how smoothly things have gone so far. Ended up with less wort, and more trub, into the fermenter than I wanted but it seems to have turned into reasonable looking and hoppy beer. Managed to avoid making too much of a mess both days!
Cheers acheers.

2024-01-06 14.57.34.jpg
2024-01-20 15.50.20.jpg
2024-01-20 15.36.11.jpg

Welcome back! Looks a great colour..
I usually find I end up with a lot of trub in the fermentor… there seems to be a school of thought it’s no bad thing for the fermentation, especially as it all settles out given enough time 👍👍

Four weeks since brewday, so time to open a bottle and try it.

Pretty pleased with how it has turned out. Bit hazy after chilling, but it tastes alright. Quite strong floral / honey notes, but enough earthy bitterness to balance it out. Not far off how I hoped a SMaSH with a boat load of EKG hops would turn out.
Will try something a bit more subtle next... Cheers acheers.

Attachments

• 2024-02-03 14.19.31-1.jpg
    2024-02-03 14.19.31-1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
Ended up with less wort, and more trub, into the fermenter than I wanted but it seems to have turned into reasonable looking and hoppy beer. Managed to avoid making too much of a mess both days!
Cheers acheers.
Contrary to some of the replies I am a believer in keeping trub out of the fermenter.
Trub contains boiled-out iso-alpha acids, fatty acids, and non-desirable proteins. You don't want these in the beer for purposes of clarity and stability, chill haze, taste, etc. This is why you want a good vigorous boil, a hot break, and a cold break. While a little cold break may be beneficial to the yeast it isn't a necessity
Bringing trub into the fermenter defeats what you have accomplished in the boil.
The first taste of any beer is with the eyes.
https://www.themodernbrewhouse.com/trub-seperation-why-and-how/

Back