Pair jailed over abusive tweets to feminist campaigner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Only 12 weeks, the judge should have made an example of them and should have given them enough jail time to frighten others, at least it shows you are not anonymous when using twitter.
I wonder how long the person racially abusing Stan Collymore will get if they find him/her.

Two people have been jailed for sending abusive messages on Twitter to feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez.

Isabella Sorley, 23, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison and John Nimmo, 25, of South Shields, was jailed for eight weeks.

They had pleaded guilty at Westminster Magistrates' Court to improper use of a communications network.

After sentencing, Ms Criado-Perez said she was relieved the judge understood the impact the abuse had had on her.

Their messages were sent last July after Ms Criado-Perez led a campaign using social media for a female figure to appear on a Bank of England note.

Sorley also targeted Stella Creasy, the Labour MP for Walthamstow, who was among the high-profile public figures who backed the bid.
'Heightened fear'

The court heard that one tweet from Sorley started with an expletive and continued: "Die you worthless piece of ****." Ms Criado-Perez was also told to "go kill yourself".

Sorley also sent the message: "I've only just got out of prison and would happily do more time to see you berried!!"

In a separate set of abusive messages, Nimmo told Ms Criado-Perez to "shut up" and made references to rape followed by "I will find you (smiley face)".

District Judge Howard Riddle said the effects on both women were "substantial" and it was "hard to imagine more extreme threats".

Ms Criado-Perez felt "terrified" every time the doorbell rang, he said, while Ms Creasy had a panic button installed at her home.

The judge said of the abusive tweets: "The fact that they were anonymous heightened the fear

"The victims had no way of knowing how dangerous the people making the threats were, whether they had just come out of prison, or how to recognise and avoid them if they came across them in public."

Ms Criado-Perez said in a statement: "It's hard to get my thoughts together at the moment as my stomach is churning - hearing the outcome has made me realise how tense and anxious I have been feeling. But here goes.

"I did not attend the sentencing as I didn't feel I could cope with being in court with them - and I didn't feel sure that the judge would understand how terrifying and scarring the whole experience has been for me, which again is not something I could face.

"I feel immensely relieved that the judge clearly has understood the severity of the impact this abuse has had on me."

Libel, Slander, anonymous threats, are all powerfully offensive weapons of choice of the cowardly damaged and depraved.

Poor Sado's I offer them a big hug. They must know how it feels before they realize what they have done. They will benefit from their time in captivity, hopefully their lives will improve.

It's amazing the depths to which people will sink if they think that they are not going to get caught.

RokDok said:
It's amazing the depths to which people will sink if they think that they are not going to get caught.

It's not the "not getting caught" that's the issue. It's the "not getting punished". Look at our current crop of politicians, or certain sections of the City banking system.

Latest posts

Back