Good Pilsener/Bavarian style Lager Kit recommendation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCase

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a larger/pilsener style beer for summer while it's still cold enough to ferment at low temperatures. I was looking at the Better Brew Pilsener but I've started reading a lot of poor reviews recently. What kits would you lot recommend?

Strangely enough I was just about to ask the very same question.

Must admit that I shudder when I think of homebrew lager, must be those memories of Boots kits from the early 80s. :shock: I'm looking for recommendations from people who have done a few kits or Extract brews and picked one out as being their definate favourite. I've done 30 odd ale brews (kits and Extract), closest to a lager was Coopers Cerveza which was OK with a shot of lime cordial on a hot day, but I'd like a lager that stands on it's own and I'd be happy to give to a few mates. Doesn't matter if it uses ale yeast, just has to be a decent Pilsener/Bavarian style lager. Many thanks :thumb:

I'm going to head down to my local brew shop if I've got time later and ask there. The guy who runs it is a stickler for quality and will tell you straight if something is good or not. I'll report back with what he says.

I would be interested in a good German style lager for the summer. Interested to hear what you come up with.

That's exactly what I wanted too and indeed what I came back with:

http://www.hamstead-brewing-centre.co.uk/itm01686.htm

He even gave me some mauribrew lager yeast for free that he couldn't sell because its past it's best by. He assures me it'll still work and make a cleaner brew than the stuff that comes with the kit. I'll be getting this one going, hopefully in the next week or so. That being said when using lager yeast, do I still start at 21 degrees or cooler?

Alright DC
Was wondering if you got round to doing the german pilsner kit yet and how it's going?

I just brewed this one up yesterday it's my first ever brew.

As i type this the airlock is bubbling away nicely,the liquid is sitting at 23l and the foamy head was sitting at 24l but seems to have stopped.

I don't really like ales or stuff like that so hopefully this turns out nice!!

B

Latest posts

Back