Random fruity fermentations!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gayle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm planing to ferment cartons of mixed fruit juice, I can't remember the exact ratios of juice but it tends to be mostly water and sugar with around 20% juices - apple, soft fruits etc. Has anyone tried this before and could tell me whether it is worth my time or not? :lol: I imagine it will be like an alcoholic lemonade...?

Or, if I used 1l of grape juice and 1l of another, as if making a WOW style wine, but didn't add any extra sugar, would that come out a bit like alco-Sholer? Or just tasteless and weird? I will have a go anyway but any advice or ideas would be apprieciated :D

I would imagine what you're describing there is the makings of a turbo cider. I haven't tried them myself but I was under the impression from reading on here that fermenting juice of any kind without any extra sugar will give you an alcoholic TC brew of around 6%. Absolutely give it a go but read up on the methods for making fruity TC's to maximis your chances!!

Good luck :cheers:

Hmm I think you're right, they'd be like a TC, which I've made about half a dozen of so far, but if they are mostly water to begin with they wouldn't have the same cidery flavour, possibly very little flavour... anyway I managed to get a few bottles of that Polish raspberry syrup so my DJs will be full for a while yet!

Most of apple juice is water though. The solids that produce the flavour are minimal. 100% from concentrate apple juice is very little apple juice mixed with water to re-hydrate it.

I've done a few alco drinks from fruit juice. I haven't tried the main one yet, I dubbed it Random Turbo Cider. It doesn't have any apples so it's not really a cider though, I don't know what it would be classed as.

Back