Plate chiller requirements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJC

Reaction score
I've bought a 36 plate wort chiller from brewbuilder.co.uk however it didn't come with any tubing or connectors that I presumed it would.

Can anyone advise me on what I need please!

for the water in/out connections all you need is something thats going to hold tight enough, a lil weeping at the out end (hot)isnt going to be a major issue as long as its beer connections are sanitary and tight.. so hozelock style fittings should suffice. And you have a rag n bucket ;)

for the beer in/out, especially on the out you want something you can depend on as being sterile what with it being the 1st link in the cold side of things,
Camlock fittings are popular, but expensive, as are the triclamp style flanged sanitary fittings.

I use silicone tube friction fitted over a larger bore tube to feed my cfc chiller, the only down side is that i have to chop a knarled bit of tube off every few brews, so depending on your water and pump pressures you may get away with friction fitting hose on hosetail fittings, or copper tube extended from JG tap connectors??

should do ;) are all the PC connectors 1/2" bsp?

while garden hose will do for the water, and cheaper plastic or brass fittings too. For the beer, 1/2" or 12mm id thick walled silicone hose is good at hot temps and is food safe. as suggested above is a good choice the pvc tube used for siphoning etc gets very soft when hot and could collapse..

many folk use a Y strainer to capture small bits that your hop filter may miss before the plate chiller too as trub in the plate chiller could be a sod to flush out.. and even worse could totally clog up.

Sorry, plumbing and its ilk are not my strong points!
they will be by the time u get sorted tho...

depending on how your hop filter works, you could be able to use a fine mesh wine straining bag to surround it? filter the fine stuff out in the kettle instead though not all boiler filter heat source combos will allow that approach.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005SSTAWI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

while 100% SS is nice n shiny modern brass plumbing bits are way cheaper and with ultra low lead levels are highly unlikely to leach any lead out, and the threads employed in 15mm compression fittings are 1/2" bsp compatible ;)

for SS pipe fittings visit bes.co.uk
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/165a.asp

and im sure a brass version of the yfilter is suitable for potable water

to join 2 x Female threaded bits a 'nipple' is the fitting needed, a parallel nipple is just a threaded bit of tube , a hex nipple will have 2 x tapered threads and a spannerable ;) hex in the centre separating the threaded ends
use lots of sealant tape ptfe.. either will work..

Last edited by a moderator:
they will be by the time u get sorted tho...

depending on how your hop filter works, you could be able to use a fine mesh wine straining bag to surround it? filter the fine stuff out in the kettle instead though not all boiler filter heat source combos will allow that approach.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005SSTAWI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

while 100% SS is nice n shiny modern brass plumbing bits are way cheaper and with ultra low lead levels are highly unlikely to leach any lead out, and the threads employed in 15mm compression fittings are 1/2" bsp compatible ;)

for SS pipe fittings visit bes.co.uk
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/165a.asp

and im sure a brass version of the yfilter is suitable for potable water

to join 2 x Female threaded bits a 'nipple' is the fitting needed, a parallel nipple is just a threaded bit of tube , a hex nipple will have 2 x tapered threads and a spannerable ;) hex in the centre separating the threaded ends
use lots of sealant tape ptfe.. either will work..

Thanks for the advice Fil.

I've ordered the bits required from bes, I suppose £23 is not a bad investment for all the beer I'll be making. I'll go without the filter bag as the filter in the kettle plus the Y strainer should be sufficient. 5m of braided tubing and some jubilee clips from Amazon and I'm sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back