Heat Belts and FV Thermowells

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Does anyone use a heat belt? I just bought one but on testing last night i realised its gets extremely hot and its not a very efficient way of heating the wort. Its 80w. I was originally going to use a heat mat underneath (wired up to my new STC) but just like everything else its broken.
Also taping the probe on the side gives a very off reading so was looking at getting some thermowells for the FV lids. Does anyone else do this? Seems like quite a good idea to be. I know a fridge would be ideal but i always have 3 or 4 brews on the go.

I use one. It's hooked up to my Inkbird so switches on and off to maintain a constant temperature. As a simple method of keeping temperature, it works very well!

I use one. It's hooked up to my Inkbird so switches on and off to maintain a constant temperature. As a simple method of keeping temperature, it works very well!

Thanks Mick. Where exactly do you put the band and how do you attatch it? Where do you put the sensor. I selotaped mine on for a trial run but the sensor was reading way off.

Thanks Mick. Where exactly do you put the band and how do you attatch it? Where do you put the sensor. I selotaped mine on for a trial run but the sensor was reading way off.

I have a 12" sensor so it gets sterilised then goes in the FV. My heat band pretty much attaches itself, I just pull it tight and it doesn't move. I have one of these:
Youngs_Brew_belt_5050596b29265-420x420.jpg

41NRF-%2BpVxL._SX425_.jpg

I need to get some kind of heating device for my brew.

I'm wondering if any of the forumites could explain the pros and cons of a heat belt versus aquarium heater?

Cheers

Hazzie Fozz

I need to get some kind of heating device for my brew.

I'm wondering if any of the forumites could explain the pros and cons of a heat belt versus aquarium heater?

Cheers

Hazzie Fozz
Heat belt: Strap it round the bucket and let nature take its course. Pros, straightforward and no fuss, Cons no temp monitoring and adjustment is made by moving the belt up and down so somewhat imprecise. That latter can be fixed with an Inkbird but now it's getting expensive.

Aquarium heater: Either put it direct into the brew, [issues with sterilisation], or put the FV into an even bigger bucket and put the heater into that. Pros better temp monitoring, Cons lack of hygeine and / or faff with builders trugs full of water, plus the heaters are fragile so small risk of death by electrocution.

I use one with a timer, on for 30 mins then off for an hour and a half. You can also move the heat belt up and down the FV as another way of tweaking it. I only use in the coldest months of the year as my FV is in my kitchen and between cooking and the rad it holds the temperature well in there.

ive just bought a heat pad and inkbird combo off ebay and its working very well.
As heat rises theres no need to move it up and down.
I used string and a kitchen sponge to hold the probe on(mentioned on here somewhere).
And ive wrapped the whole fv in a blanket so it keeps nice and stable.
When I pitched the yeast I checked the temp of wort with my digital thermometer. It was only showing .2c out from the inkbird probe.Ill check it again at the end before I rack off to see if its still consistent.

Where did you get it from? I've been looking to get a heat belt but all I can find is 25W ones.

I bought the last one from a UK supplier, took ages to arrive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151992747784?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or you can order from China http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80W-1M-Ho...tation-Pail-/262199002304?hash=item3d0c4744c0

I am looking for a 20w heat mat as i reckon it will be more stable. I was shocked by how hot this belt got.

Also seen people using aquarium heaters but seems more risk of infection to me.

Here are the thermowells i looked at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111828920168?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

ive just bought a heat pad and inkbird combo off ebay and its working very well.
As heat rises theres no need to move it up and down.
I used string and a kitchen sponge to hold the probe on(mentioned on here somewhere).
And ive wrapped the whole fv in a blanket so it keeps nice and stable.
When I pitched the yeast I checked the temp of wort with my digital thermometer. It was only showing .2c out from the inkbird probe.Ill check it again at the end before I rack off to see if its still consistent.
Theres no point in having a heating device unless its regulated in some way IMO.
I bet your central heating and boiler has some sort of thermostatic device.
So agree with above

In addition to my fermentation fridge on the odd occasion I can get two brews on the go I use a large storage container filled with water and an aquarium heater. I really don't like the idea of the aquarium heater directly in the wort.

Theres no point in having a heating device unless its regulated in some way IMO.
I bet your central heating and boiler has some sort of thermostatic device.
So agree with above

The heat pads will take your brew to 9 degrees above ambient temperature so in the video i watched the guy said to switch it on in the late evening and off in the morning (winter), with wine this would not be a problem but it probably would with beer with no temperature control.

I use a 25W heat belt wrapped near the bottom, inkbird temperature probe taped to the side with a couple of bits of cardboard to insulate, near the top of the wort and all covered in a blanket to keep the electricity bills down. I took a temperature reading from the middle of the wort when I did a gravity reading and I was surprised it was within 0.2° of the Inkbird reading. I was half expecting to have to adjust for being 2° out or something, but it's surprisingly accurate.

Tried an experiment. It seems my heat mat although broken and only giving off an almost un noticable amount of heat has managed to heat my FV to 22c. Sensor taped on the outside matches temp strip. I am sure you could get away with very little heat. Its warapped in a blanket but until i turned it on was only 18c. Ordering another mat and STC tonight. Still looking for a cheap thermowell. Anyone found any?

Cheers Chippy. I did think of one but trying to do it on the cheap as i will need to buy 3 or 4.
Not been able to test my heat mat as when i eventually found it realised its as dead as a dodo. Handy thing about a heat mat is they can be used for making yoghurt as well.
I bought one of these from my LHBS and thought it would be ****. So simple & works a treat!

Better Brew Flexible Heat Pad
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DDYP234/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back