single grain single hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1964

Landlord.
Reaction score
we will be brewing twice over the coming weekend was thinking of pale malt and saaz has anyone ever tried that combination. Could change the hops if it doesnt match well maybe EKG or bobek

i thought sazz was an aroma hop , i like this hop though , maybe use some perle as bittering hop if you have them

Just brewed a single/single at the w/e. MO & American Summer hops. (Never tried them so thought I would give them a go, used whole 100g in the brew 80/20)

You'll be dangerously close to **** lager with that so pile on the aroma. I do single hop often, my house brew is with, as mentioned earlier, ekg, its wonderful. Also done one with all hallertaeur, very similar to yours, but with some golden syrup and crystal, it was very flavoursome!

Go for it, no reason it won't be brilliant so why not?

Bobek and ekg are quite similar so make a good combo.

E'KG all the way for me. I think aleman posted up a recipe of just marris otter to 1060 and EKG to 60 IBU's no aroma hop, then age for 12 months then dry hop with EKG before bottling. But I guess aroma addiions and less ageing would make an excellent beer.

Czech Pils is just pilsner and saaz, so that's what you'd be close to with pale ale and saaz.

I'll throw in an additional vote for EKG and pale SMaSH.

Pinck said:
Czech Pils is just pilsner and saaz, so that's what you'd be close to with pale ale and saaz.

You and Mr Walker seem to be missing the one fundamental difference between a lager and an ale......................... Yeast!!!!!!!!!!! Totally different because of the yeast.

graysalchemy said:
Pinck said:

You and Mr Walker seem to be missing the one fundamental difference between a lager and an ale......................... Yeast!!!!!!!!!!! Totally different because of the yeast.

Not a SMaSH but I'm currently drinking a brew made with 96% Lager malt and 4% Caramalt, all Saaz and brewed at 18 degrees with US-05. I was intending some kind of fake lager but it ended up along similar lines to Summer Lightening, just slightly sweeter.

Gray is correct we will be using fullers 1845 yeast harvested from their bottled bitter. Lager i thought was made with either lager/pilsner malt and proper lager/pilsner yeast. Im concerned this brew will stop again at 1.020 as the last 2 have using fullers yeast. The planned OG is 1.052 which should make the beer 5.5%. This time though we bought grain uncrushed and will be milling it just before mashing so hopefully will be a tasty brew :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Pinck said:

I get that, I never said it was lager, just close with pale and single hop.

Still missing the point beer gets 70% of its flavour from the yeast. It may have the same hops and malt may even look the same but wouldn't taste the same.

I thought this was going to be a yeast-less brew. Only hops and malt were mentioned :wha:

I'd say, try for yourself. Not everybody likes Saaz flavour, spicy and peppery at the beginning, slowly fading with maturation into grassy.

Snap on the brew Mark

I am doing a SMaSH this weekend MO and Bobek.

S-04 from a brew a couple of weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back