Alemans Effin Erdinger Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm another brew for me :thumb: :drunk:
just waiting for me stc-100 to come then fermenting fridge will be up and running then back to brewing again :D :thumb:

Baldbrewer said:
Hi,
Just a quick question, I have just built my ferment fridge, what temperature should I "crash cool"?

How cold will your fridge go? I cool to 1.5 C because my fridge will, go as cold as you can without freezing - the fridge's thermostat needs to be set to max to let your temp controller go that low.

Baldbrewer said:
Would this be a single infusion mash at 60 or 90 mins?
Yeah it can be done at 65C for 90 Minutes, although you get a better ester balance if you can do a glucan rest at 45C for 30 minutes

If you can't, don't worry too much it's still a damned tasty beer

forgive my ignorance as i'm still wet behind the ears, ;)

So Is the glucan rest part of the 90 min mash?

so do I :

carry out glucan rest at 45C for 30 mins
then mash at 66C for the remaining 60 mins?

Thank you for your help :thumb:

Baldbrewer said:
forgive my ignorance as i'm still wet behind the ears, ;)
So Is the glucan rest part of the 90 min mash? So do I :

carry out glucan rest at 45C for 30 mins
then mash at 66C for the remaining 60 mins?
It's down to your choice really. Personally I do the Glucan Rest followed by a 90 minute mash, with todays malts it is perfectly acceptable to do a 30 minute glucan rest (which will have some amylase activity), and then a 60 minute mash

I don't do it with infusions so I can't really say if those figures are correct.

If I were to use Infusions I would mash in using 2.0L per kilo to hit the Glucan Rest, and then add water just off boiling to bring it up to the saccharification rest. How much water would be a case of trial and error using a thermometer.

Aleman said:
I don't do it with infusions so I can't really say if those figures are correct.

If I were to use Infusions I would mash in using 2.0L per kilo to hit the Glucan Rest, and then add water just off boiling to bring it up to the saccharification rest. How much water would be a case of trial and error using a thermometer.

Another option is to perform rest at 42c with wheat malt only, then add barley malt and more hot water.

Or... pull a decoction, rest for 20min at 70C, boil it, transfer part of decoction to reach 50C in main mash for 10min while decoction is still boiling and bring together back to reach 65-66C, rest it for 60min, pull thin decoction, boil it again to reach 76C for mash out and after 10-15 min start to sparge. You can skip protein rest if you like.

Just a quick question:

Do I bottle the beer at it's crash cool temp (2C) or do I raise the temp to 18C?

Just curious about the CO2 absorbtion etc :hmm:

Cheers all,
;)

Couldnt wait any longer had first 330ml bottle last night after 4 days carbonating.
BLOODY NICE! nice hit of cloves and dare I say better than Erdinger more like Franzikaner.

thank you Aleman! :cheers: :hat:

I brewed this beer last Friday. I forgot I go away next Thursday :roll: The gravity at the moment is 1011,Today was the first reading I have taken. I was wondering should I leave it to ferment till Saturday , crash cool and bottle Wednesday evening? Or should I leave it to ferment till next Wednesday (12 days) then leave to crash cool till I return (8 days?) and then bottle. It is tasting good. :cheers:

fairbrew said:
I brewed this beer last Friday. I forgot I go away next Thursday :roll: The gravity at the moment is 1011,Today was the first reading I have taken. I was wondering should I leave it to ferment till Saturday , crash cool and bottle Wednesday evening? Or should I leave it to ferment till next Wednesday (12 days) then leave to crash cool till I return (8 days?) and then bottle. It is tasting good. :cheers:
If it's 1.011 then it is probably not going to drop too much more, if you have the time to bottle on Wednesday, then I would do so . . .You don't want to drop too much yeast out or you will end up with a Krystal Weizen . . Try a short period of crash cooling say 24-36 hours before bottling

Glad to hear that the recipe is working out for everyone :D

Aleman, Thanks for this, I made this with a different yeast wy3333 a month ago , spot on !

Andy

Latest posts

Back