Erdinger Weissbier 500Ml

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I tried the Erdinger Dunkel last week and was impressed so was going to have another tonight but they had sold out so SWMBO got me a four pack of these instead, has anyone here tried it?

Tasting Notes

• Classic wheat beer blends gently spicy malt aromas with mildly bitter hops. Its secret lies in our unique Erdinger brewing yeasts. They provide the fruity notes and unmistakably fresh flavour. The finishing touch for every Erdinger Weissbier is a further specialty: the “Bayerische Edelreifung” or double maturity method. After the main fermentation process, we give our beer the time it needs to mature a second time in the bottle. And we are happy to give it this time. Because this allows its delicious lively nature and the harmonious interplay of its various aromas to fully unfold

ABV

5.3% vol

Product Description

• Wheat Beer
  • The original since 1886.
  • Erdinger Weissbier Classic wheat beer blends gently spicy malt aromas with mildly bitter hops. Its secret lies in our unique Erdinger brewing yeasts. They provide the fruity notes and unmistakably fresh flavour. The finishing touch for every Erdinger Weissbier is a further specialty: the “Bayerische Edelreifung” or double maturity method. After the main fermentation process, we give our beer the time it needs to mature a second time in the bottle. And we are happy to give it this time. Because this allows its delicious lively nature and the harmonious interplay of its various aromas to fully unfold.
  • Erdinger Weissbier with fine yeast, the crowning glory of traditional Bavarian brewing skills. With its elegant flavour, this wheat beer is like no other. Every sip leaves you wanting more.
  • With Fine Yeast
  • Bottle fermentation
  • Bavarian Double Maturity Method

1688130402341.png

I have Chippy a lovely drink if you like Weissbeers.
You'll be ok with them

Make sure you pour it into a oversized glass if you have one as it can be very lively and will produce a large head.
I usually pour 3/4 of the bottle then swirl the bottle to bring any yeast into the beer then pour this in as well. It will be a cloudy malty beer with a spicy/fruitiness sometimes banana flavour

I usually pour 3/4 of the bottle then swirl the bottle to bring any yeast into the beer then pour this in as well.

Thanks, i have watched a couple of review videos and they say to make sure you get the yeast into the glass before trying it, off to look for a big glass ;)

I really like wheat beers, usually go for the Aldi one, Erdinger was the first one I ever had but it's been a long time since I had one. Needs to be served pretty cold ideally, good for a hot day. The dunkel is very good

Noob question alert -

I have never tried a Weissbeer what is the difference between a Weissbeer and other beers.

Probably the best thing to do is to drink a bottle of it and that'll answer your questions about what the difference is - it's quite a different flavour from other beers. (From a production perspective, it's roughly 50% wheat, 50% barley and the yeast that makes it a weissbier) .

I love Weissbier as a style it’s also a nice straightforward beer to make (and pretty hard to screw up). But it’s the yeast that really makes this style, I mostly use dried yeast but for Weissbier I find it to be worthwhile splurging on a good liquid yeast.

I love Weissbier as a style it’s also a nice straightforward beer to make (and pretty hard to screw up). But it’s the yeast that really makes this style, I mostly use dried yeast but for Weissbier I find it to be worthwhile splurging on a good liquid yeast.
I did a batch a couple of months ago. Fermented one with weissbier yeast and the other with witbier yeast. It blew my brother's mind that they were the same wort and only varied by yeast

They taste a bit like bananas and cloves. Really delicious, especially on a warm day.

The Dunkel is an absolute cracker. A shame you didn't get your hands on more.

They taste a bit like bananas and cloves
I know that's what everyone says, but I've never thought they do. They taste like weissbier. 🤷‍♂️ Yes, they taste more like a banana than a grilled steak, but i wouldn't describe it as tasting particularly close to banana or clove.

But tastes are so hard to categorise into words, so I suppose they are as good words as any other ones.

One of my friends at university said that Hoegaarden tasted of baked beans. Everyone had their own interpretation of flavours I guess

I know that's what everyone says, but I've never thought they do. They taste like weissbier. 🤷‍♂️ Yes, they taste more like a banana than a grilled steak, but i wouldn't describe it as tasting particularly close to banana or clove.

Funny you should say that, in one of the videos the guy said some people can taste banana but he cannot.

It depends on which weissbeer it is some are very strong in Banana or others cloves it all depends on the yeast and fermentation temp from memory the higher the temp the more banana. The Erdinger is not so strong on the banana IMO

It depends on which weissbeer it is some are very strong in Banana or others cloves it all depends on the yeast and fermentation temp from memory the higher the temp the more banana. The Erdinger is not so strong on the banana IMO
Temperature would make sense I purposely ferment rather high as it seems to ensure
a lot of banana eaters which I like.

Definitely get more banana from Weihenstephaner than Erdinger.

I've had a lot of different ones. Never had one and gone "wow, banana". Also, similarly never gone "that tastes of cloves".

Latest posts

Back