Amateur Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel1

Reaction score
Hello All.

Received a home brew kit as a Christmas present and love it.
My first brew was very successful an American IPA adding hops halfway through fermentation.
Bottled a new batch yesterday called Muntons Midas touch, this one wasn't as lively as my first brew. The starting gravity was 1050 and I Bottled at 1018 said it should be around 1014 but it's been in the fermentation vessel for two weeks and the chap at the brew shop advised me to bottle it and said it will be a good session beer.
Thinking of investing in a heat pad or belt for my vessel, can anyone recommend a good product and do you think my beer will be ok with the gravity issues?

I'd get a fridge of freecycle and get a ink bird etc
If u have the room

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I bottled my first kit with the final gravity a few points higher than the target and it has been fine. As long as it has finished fermenting before you bottle it, that is the key to ensuring your bottles don't over pressurise. Taking gravity readings over a few days and getting the same reading is how most folks ensure this.

I don't have any belt or mat recommendations unfortunately, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Welcome!

Always take 2 hydrometer readings at least 24hrs apart to check fermentation has finished.

If you have space (and time tonsearchfor a free or cheap 2nd hand one) for a fridge have a search for fermentation fridges. With an inkbird controller they are deemed the best way to maintain fermentation temperature and can also be used to cold crash.

I can't accomodate a fridge at present so rely on aquarium heater
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003VZ3MC4/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_post_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in a builders bucket/trug
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Soft-Bucket-40L/p/160179?CAWELAID=120135120000015154&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37524964132&CATCI=pla-253558449652&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Garden%20Maintenance&tmcampid=&tmad=c&tmplaceref=cOkuI5Lb&utm_content=scOkuI5Lb|pcid|102693171532|pkw||pmt||&gclid=CKj038CaitICFQ0R0wodj54Dqw

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

If you have room you could make a brew fridge using an old fridge and an Inkbird controller for heat and cooling -

ATC-800-c.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Inkbird

41DDkOS9WHL._AC_US218_.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.Great to see you're brewing has got off to a cracking start.Ask all the questions you need and especially those that you may think silly, stupid or embarrassing.Loads of fantastic support on the forum and there's always someone who'll come along to help you out.

Hello All.

Received a home brew kit as a Christmas present and love it.
My first brew was very successful an American IPA adding hops halfway through fermentation.
Bottled a new batch yesterday called Muntons Midas touch, this one wasn't as lively as my first brew. The starting gravity was 1050 and I Bottled at 1018 said it should be around 1014 but it's been in the fermentation vessel for two weeks and the chap at the brew shop advised me to bottle it and said it will be a good session beer.
Thinking of investing in a heat pad or belt for my vessel, can anyone recommend a good product and do you think my beer will be ok with the gravity issues?

Welcome Sam, as others say, a converted fridge is considered the best option, my brewing has improved since I got me one.
Bottling at 1.018 seems a little high to me, but if it had finished fermenting that's OK. If you haven't opened a bottle yet, it'd be an idea to open outdoors or over the kitchen sink maybe, in case you've got a 'gusher'. My first brew did just that - emptied itself all over the kitchen when I took the cap off. :doh:

Thanks for the replies!

I've looked at loads of suggestions for solving the temperature issue and the fridge looks the best! Roughly how much are you looking at to set it all up? I'm assuming that was the issue with my last brew not having the correct temperature.
Could someone please post a step by step guide for setting up the fridge and once you've bottled your brew where do you normally keep it while it's conditioning.
Thanks.

Fridge usually from small ads freecycle etc so if lucky free.

Inkbird £25.

Tube heater £20.

Some members use a pc fan and phone charger to move the air inside but i believe others don't bother.

Make a small shelf to stand the FV on and mount the tube below it, run the temp probe sensor through the drain hole at the back of the fridge and plug the heater and fridge into the heat and cool plugs on the inkbird controller.

Tape the probe to the side of the FV using a pad of something to make sure its reading the contents of the FV and not the air in the fridge.

ATC-800-c.jpg

Inkbird-ITC-308-UK-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-fan-_57.jpg

Latest posts

Back