50w Aquarium Fish Tank Heater Submersible ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi is it ok to fit a ... Aquarium Fish Tank Heater Submersible Thermostat ...
in my Fermentation Bucket ...its new so never been in a fish tank..
its just i dont trust my bedroom to stay at a constant temp...

it eather has to be in my bedroom..
or the shed which has electric in ..
eather way i need a heat sorce to keep it warm ...
just wondering if any one has used a Aquarium Fish Tank Heater before ....
i cant realy see a problem with it just thought id beter ask thow...

i dont have my set up yet but should have it next week ...
iv been given a Pressure Barrel..
but need to get the rest ....
i may not use the Pressure Barrel as i was planing on bottles...
ill be doing a stout ...any advice please ...
regards mick...

adrianmole72 said:
Hi, Put the aquarium heater in a bucket (ore something like that) with a few inches of water, thats what I use

so dont put it in the Fermentation Bucket then ...
thats what i was going to do...and seal it in ???

mick may said:
adrianmole72 said:
Hi, Put the aquarium heater in a bucket (ore something like that) with a few inches of water, thats what I use

thank you ...
so you say dont put it in the Fermentation Bucket then ...
as thats what i was going to do...and seal it in ???

mick may said:
adrianmole72 said:

Buy a rubber mixing bucket from Tesco, they are about £3 put a few inches of water in it then put the FV in that, you can then put the heater in the bath. Reduces infection risks and saves sanitising something else.

ScottSmith said:
mick may said:
adrianmole72 said:

Buy a rubber mixing bucket from Tesco, they are about £3 put a few inches of water in it then put the FV in that, you can then put the heater in the bath. Reduces infection risks and saves sanitising something else.

Yup, what he said !!

mick may said:
adrianmole72 said:

you can but a waterbath is better: don't need to sanitise the heater, lid remains sealed, heat application gentler

oldbloke said:
mick may said:
adrianmole72 said:

you can but a waterbath is better: don't need to sanitise the heater, lid remains sealed, heat application gentler

ok thank you all very much ... :) ...
thats what ill do... ;) .

waterbath is the best one, but i must say my 50w one will not keep the temp in this weather, i would go for 100w. That is in my garage that has been down to around 5C max in the night.

Cyclops said:
waterbath is the best one, but i must say my 50w one will not keep the temp in this weather, i would go for 100w. That is in my garage that has been down to around 5C max in the night.

May waterbath is surrounded with insulation and has a lid so that there's no exposed watersurface after a few old teatowels cover the gaps. Helps a lot.
Having said that, my 6 active DJs are in the dining room, and have been for weeks.

Cyclops said:

ok thank you so very much ...
ill look for a 100w one then .. :thumb: .
regards mick.... :hat: .

thank you oldbloke ...
i love all this advice ....
what's more i need it and appreciate it ..
very much .... :hat: .

if you use a water bath, the shed will be ok to use.
If you do it in your bedroom.... :roll: :roll: then the simplest solution to to cover the vessel with an old duvet or several blankets.
The fermentation process gives off some heat itself.

piddledribble said:
if you use a water bath, the shed will be ok to use.
If you do it in your bedroom.... :roll: :roll: then the simplest solution to to cover the vessel with an old duvet or several blankets.
The fermentation process gives off some heat itself.

thank you piddledribble ... :thumb: .
my fb. has a reading of 21c ...
on the lcd...Thermometer
at the moment but its empty ...
its just sat waiting for me to sanitize it and use it ..
regards mick... :hat: .

i decided defo the shed ...
iv got the bucket today to put my fb in ...
plus i just bought a Aquarium 300w Submirsible Heater For a 300ltr Fish Tank on ebay ...
so when that gets here its off we go ... :clap: .

thank you all for your help...
its most appreciated...

regards mick... :hat: .

If your out in cold a shed consider insulting your warm water from the cold floor and drapping something over the top to keep heat in too. you will have some evaporation/condensation issues , but covering and insulating will localise this to under the cover... otherwise all 300w of the heater may get devoted to creating a very damp shed

When I used a water path I placed 2 bricks in the bottom, with the aquarium heater between them, then stood the FV on those. This promotes the circulation of heated water around the bottom of the FV and up the sides.

I have also used the heater directly in the FV with no issues. I do worry about sanitising them, though, as they have so many crevices that could harbour nasty things.

I have my fishtank heater suspended directly into the fv and haven't noticed any issues. Generally I doubt it is actually turned on for very long and my garage appears to be warmer than I thoguht it would be!

Cheers
DA

isn't 300W a bit big?
are you really going to heat up 300 litres of water/liquid?

if you have an FV of 30 litres, in a container slightly bigger - the most you're going to need is equivalent to 50 litres of liquid to heat up. you might end up with your heater working overtime, and have too hot water, or too much power, or your heater not on much, with larger temp fluctuations. and 300w uses more energy than 50w.

of course I could be wrong....

Hi, first thing,please use an RCD on the heater. Secondly a larger heater (I would reccomend a 200w) will heat up quicker and use less power/be on for less time,and be more stable (it won't overheat) especially if used in the FV. Also if you buy a decent heater such as a Visitherm (my favourite, 5years and counting of daily use) Hagen or Algarde rather than an ebay cheapy, it will last you years and be reliable. These makes usually have visible settings in the tube, although checking with a thermometer is a good idea, as they can be a bit over or under. PS please ensure the heater is cold and off before removing it or dropping the level and exposing it, they can crack/explode if not!!! And just think of the waste of alcohol if this happens!!!! :sick:

Latest posts

Back