Barrel secondary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
I am just using a King Keg barrel for the first time after fitting a pressure gauge. After priming I realised it is not practical to move indoors from the garage to keep at 20 C, my solution was to place in a builders bucket with a fish tank heater. This is my normal set up for initial fermentation.
What is interesting is the rise in recorded pressure as the secondary fermentation takes place. I had tested the barrel before use and worked out about 3 to 5 psi was all I required to dispense from the top tap float system. Over the last week pressure has increased daily, when above 6 psi I have been dropping it back to 3 again.
Question, can I assume that when the pressure increase has stopped secondary fermentation has finished and I can then drop the temperature to condition it?
Are there pro and cons for fermenting at higher pressures?
My preferred style of beer is a cask ale, using 60 grams of sugar I was aiming for a CO2 volume of 1.7

Many thanks, Mike

Agree with @Agentgonzo . I leave my KKs alone during carbonation letting the pressure relief valve vent any excess pressure. Then put it somewhere cool (12C ish) for a couple of weeks (sometimes longer) before starting to drink. Drop the pressure to my preferred pressure before starting to serve.

My KK same as Mike’s is full of ESB for Xmas is approaching 2 weeks in the barrel and still climbing at 11psi at 17 degrees. I accidentally primed with 120g of brewing sugar.
Should I vent it to lower the psi or to get rid of any oxygen? Or just leave it?
Really wanted to cool it down for the next two weeks but should I wait for pressure to level out?
I’m in new territory as the first couple of batches never got above 7psi as I don’t think I had nailed sealing it fully.

I routinely prime my pale ales with 115 grm of granulated sugar dissolved in 300 ml of water (boiled then cooled) for a 5 gallon batch. Put in the fridge set at 20C and consistently get it up to 15 psi when it vents (I now use a spundy valve rather than a prv).

I routinely prime my pale ales with 115 grm of granulated sugar dissolved in 300 ml of water (boiled then cooled) for a 5 gallon batch. Put in the fridge set at 20C and consistently get it up to 15 psi when it vents (I now use a spundy valve rather than a prv).
Ah ok thanks BB, I may warm it up a bit to help complete the carbonation. 🍻

Latest posts

Back