Hops for a Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Folks, brew day is looming and I'm looking at GH's London Bitter but the hops look pretty low. 22 IBUs sounds fine but 10g of Fuggles at 10 mins and 6g of EKG sound very skimpy and opening the fresh pack of both feels a bit of a waste.

The ESB ale uses double the flavour and aroma additions but is a bit stronger. Anyone brewed the bitter before or got any opinions on the hopping rates?

Thanks

Hi Folks, brew day is looming and I'm looking at GH's London Bitter but the hops look pretty low. 22 IBUs sounds fine but 10g of Fuggles at 10 mins and 6g of EKG sound very skimpy and opening the fresh pack of both feels a bit of a waste.

The ESB ale uses double the flavour and aroma additions but is a bit stronger. Anyone brewed the bitter before or got any opinions on the hopping rates?

Thanks

Hi
Yes, I did the London Bitter earlier in the year. It was pretty ordinary, but I would say it was representative of the style. Probably like Courage BB made in the 70's, which isn't a bad thing...it is what it is...depends what you want and like. If you are fed up with C hops, it makes a pleasant change. hope that helps

Hi
Yes, I did the London Bitter earlier in the year. It was pretty ordinary, but I would say it was representative of the style. Probably like Courage BB made in the 70's, which isn't a bad thing...it is what it is...depends what you want and like. If you are fed up with C hops, it makes a pleasant change. hope that helps
I think the word ordinary classifies that as it should be 'ordinary 'bitter:)

I haven't make one in a while but just looked up a few recipes I made in beer smith and both I bittered to 32 1st one had 25g fuggles @ 10 min as the only late hop and the second had all late hops 20 min 30g EKG 17g first gold 16g fuggles 10 min 30g EKG 15g fuggles 5 min 18g EKG 15g fuggles. I think the reasoning behind the second was I wanted to use up all those hops and adjusted the timings to get 32IBUs, as far as I can remember they were both nice but it was years ago I made them.

Thanks much. So it's essentially fine as written but some more hops won't hurt / might improve it a bit.

I'm one of the oddballs who doesn't care for hoppy beers so I avoid a bunch of C hops. Looking for a nice tasty, simple English bitter as my father-in-law has requested one. This sounds like a good beer for that, and it also uses up the last of my pre-crushed Maris Otter.

Latest posts

Back