ESB hop combinations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning an ESB to brew tomorrow.
My last batch was bittered with Target, later additions of EKG and Fuggles.
Recipe here
https://share.brewfather.app/KkqL9xUgBXX0Nb

I still have stocks of all three hops plus some challenger I got to try as an alternative for early bittering addition.

Which of these hops do people recommend to complement the Challenger ? I was thinking of trying Target at 10 mins and hopstand to better understand
it's aroma/flavour profile but am open to suggestions.

Any of those hops are fine to use in any combination. I have used target as a flavour and aroma hop and I liked it, I think I have said it before that as a standard British hop it has got pushed back as a bittering hop has as Challenger but they are fine as a late addition hops too.
If you get Graham Wheelers book on BYO British Real Ale you will see what hops are in what style of these British ales

Challenger is an excellent all purpose hop, very good flavour, and it works well with Goldings, and with Fuggles. Fuller's uses Target in some beers as a late or dry hop. You could even use all 4.

In my understanding target can give a harsher bitterness than some other bittering hops. Challenger is softer but some of it's tanginess comes through even as a bittering hop.

First gold is a great choice and you don't need as much of it as EKG to get that marmalade flavour. I've used first gold as 20 minute addition to provide some bitterness and flavour. That was with challenger for bittering and a dab of it as a late hop.

Big fan of First Gold in all styles of British Ales. Part way through brewing a Bitter with Styrian Goldings, First Gold and Challenger for the flavour and aroma hops. For bittering I'm experimenting with a split of Challenger and Galaxy.

Thanks for all your thoughts, since I'm trying to educate myself as to hop characteristics I'm going to keep it simple and go with my initial plan;
Challenger to bitter at 60mins, Target at 10 mins then use Challenger for dry hopping ( although am tempted
to use the last of the cascade I have in stock 😗 )
I will look to get some First Gold for my next batch of bitter, perhaps pair it up with last of my Fuggles.

The two bitters I have made so far, ESB as recipe above and single hop EKG have both been very successful and popular with the familly who are not beer drinkers as such.
The simplicity and freshness is large part of that appeal I think, especially not having been in a pub for a long while !

Edit. recipe here
https://share.brewfather.app/nG1y4bzQLXaDHY

Last edited:
Thanks for all your thoughts, since I'm trying to educate myself as to hop characteristics I'm going to keep it simple and go with my initial plan;
Challenger to bitter at 60mins, Target at 10 mins then use Challenger for dry hopping ( although am tempted
to use the last of the cascade I have in stock 😗 )
I will look to get some First Gold for my next batch of bitter, perhaps pair it up with last of my Fuggles.

The two bitters I have made so far, ESB as recipe above and single hop EKG have both been very successful and popular with the familly who are not beer drinkers as such.
The simplicity and freshness is large part of that appeal I think, especially not having been in a pub for a long while !

Edit. recipe here
https://share.brewfather.app/nG1y4bzQLXaDHY

Recipe noted! :D

On it now! What yeast did you go with, Tanglefoot?

I was going to go with MJ M36 Liberty Bell, but I also have US-05, S-04 etc.

On it now! What yeast did you go with, Tanglefoot?

I was going to go with MJ M36 Liberty Bell, but I also have US-05, S-04 etc.
I used NBS ale yeast from Malt Miller,
the US -05 would probably work well enough though.
This was the first batch I put in my new corny keg, sugar primed it and was very tasty.
How did the Cali Common turn out ?

Thanks. Haven't touched the Cali Common. It's been bottled two weeks, and it's still quite cloudy. I'm going to leave it another couple of weeks.

Back