SNPA yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks
apologies if this has been covered before...

Just managed to get hold of a couple bottles of SNPA which is bottle-conditioned. Has anyone tried harvesting this or is it not worth it because:
a) It's only S-05 and pointless (use the packet stuff)
b) It's not the fermentation yeast and a cheapo conditioning yeast.

?

:cheers:

When I was researching for my batch the general consensus seemed to be that the yeast in SNPA was US-05 / Wyeast 1056, I used US-05 and it came out very nice indeed!

Hi Keith
yup .... I used the S-05 in my clone too ... came out great. Seems then it's not worth the hassle!

:cheers:

I have done it, it worked, however slow to culture up from tiny amount in the bottles. Tasted nice. Never used S-O5 before. Unfortunately, no longer have a culture of it and can't find SNPA in Tesco anymore. :(

I would use WLP001 personally I think it matches the flavour profile more. Good sized starter start fermentation at 17C and ramp it up to 21C towards the end of fermentation

92 - 93 % Lager malt or lower colour MO and the rest light crystal malt, bitter with Magnum or Northern brewer to 40 IBU then 30g of Cascades with 15 minutes to go then another 70g at flame out, easy.

Back