Brewing belt vs Heat mat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE10PAT

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just ordered my second brew kit and am aiming to get cracking this weekend. An issue I had last time was keeping the brew at a constant temperature, ie being nextr to a radiator that was only on twice a day. Would anyone recommend either a brewing belt to wrap around the fermenting bucket or a heat mat? I'm thinking these things do the same job but i'm new to this so please correct me if i'm wrong.

cheers
Pat

Neither should be used on its own . . . with a thermostat then either work well . . .without a thermostat . . . make Belgian Beers . . . especially Saison

I had the same problem with my 1st brew so found a plastic tub in the garage that could fit my FV, added some water and purchased one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100W-AQUARIUM...0?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4155cf1a3e My offer of £7 was accepted.

This has kept the temperature in the FV around 20C for 9 days now (stored in the garage) and the wife happy that shes not sharing the bedroom with 23l of fermenting beer :grin:

I agree with AM on their own brewbekts ferment at too high temperatures as we found out when we first started out. Off tasting beer is the result. An aqurium heater in water then place your fv in the water sounds about the best way. :thumb:

I have a brewbelt and found it fermented at about 24C, far too high.

I'll use it again in the winter but I'll try and kit it out with a thermostat.

I just bought one of those 100W aquarium heaters. The guy doesn't take bids below the £7 mark it seems :)

How deep would I need the water in which I placed the aquarium heater? Would it have to essentially cover at least halfway up the FV?

cheers
Pat

Ideally, yes, but the heater can be placed at an angle in a shallower bath as long as the glass part is fully immersed.

Sorry for opening an old thread, I just prefer keeping it in one place instead of making lots of similar threads.

I too suffer from cold rooms and have gone and purchased an aquarium heater. Unfortunately I don't have any extra (larger) containers so I fitted mine directly into my FV - would this cause any potential problems? Also I found I need to set it ~2*C higher than my expected temp (22* for 20* actual)

The cable fitted and seals glued
IMG_20120428_171301.jpg

Heather fitted to FV
IMG_20120428_171205.jpg

Filled FV
IMG_20120428_182456.jpg

Sealed and cooking
IMG_20120428_184638.jpg

Also, as I mentioned about the cold room, I can't seem to keep my bottles at a reasonable temp for the initial week. I tend to keep my bottles in plastic boxes with about 18 bottles each.
I was thinking if something like this would help heat the containers and warm the bottles...http://www.petsathome.com/shop/heat-mat-by-pro-rep-37024 - or if anybody has any prior experience with anything else ?

Same here though yours is neater. I found I had to calibrate mine against a thermometer as the scale on the heater was way out with only a fairly course adjustment.

Cheers for the replies guys, I do try to keep things as tidy as possible when making stuff.

Just had a second thought after you mentioned calibrating temps - how effective, generally, are the stick-on thermometers ?
Does outside air temp interfere with them? I just realised I have been judging my temps by it and never really thought about the colder air outside the FV causing potential mis-readings...

Not bad in my experience but no substitute for a glass thermometer. You're only going to get +/- 2degC resolution with a stick on one.

best thing to use is a cheap aquarium digital thermometer with a probe (around £4 ) chuck it in brew with screen left on lid , that way you have a true brew temp :thumb:

aha pittsy, that's just the ticket! I actually have a multimeter that reads temps (which I forgot about)
I'll look at fitting something like this into the same feed-hole as the thermometer :thumb:

[EDIT] just found one that looks the part here on Play
Means I can suction it to the lid and dangle right in the middle...

Always the way!
That looks OK for all I need it to do - read temps.

Don't suppose you got any tips for the bottle heating problem pittsy?

Telford_QPR said:
I had the same problem with my 1st brew so found a plastic tub in the garage that could fit my FV, added some water and purchased one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100W-AQUARIUM...0?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4155cf1a3e My offer of £7 was accepted.

This has kept the temperature in the FV around 20C for 9 days now (stored in the garage) and the wife happy that shes not sharing the bedroom with 23l of fermenting beer :grin:

Bit OTT ! .... that will heat 100 litres !

Even 50 W would be more than ample for home brew fermentors.

:cheers:

StrangeBrew said:
Bit OTT ! .... that will heat 100 litres !

Even 50 W would be more than ample for home brew fermentors.

:cheers:

lol noticed that myself but didn't want to say anything - being a noob n all :grin:

get yourself a large storage container (mines 70l around £8 ,) the cheapo type often with lids etc , the best way to get correct temp for brew is put your fv in it then fill with water and have youe aquarium heater in the water (not beer) with your digital probe (in brew) that way you can control temp of brew better as first few days the yeast heats up brew so you have temp set lower then yeasts calm down a bit thus set temp higher and when you bottle you can put bottles into container with water and aquarium heater and keep bottles at 20c for a week , job done :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back