rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see the old rhubarb post still alive !! I have managed three gallons this year and I always do the freeze / thaw sugar extraction (2kg per dj) add to this one litre red grape juice and 600g sugar (lemon juice, pectalose, cup of tea and youngs wine yeast ) always a winner and goes down a treat, rhubarb and blackberry is very good too :D

Happy brewing :cool:

Bottled my Champagne at the weekend, and racked the wine to the cellar.

Still a difference in colour, put the Champagne with about a teaspoon of sugar in some thicker bottles so fingers crossed, have 5 and 2/3rds bottles worth, the 2/3rds are in a plastic so I can see how it fizzes :D

Tasted very sweet so hopefully the carbonation will take some of that, otherwise it could be dangerous :D

My rhubarb crown is, how should I put it, "productive" this year! It got a bit crazy and getting down the path was a bit of a pain so I hacked out all the big stalks.

A couple of kg are getting turned into crumble for dinner tonight and I've now got 4kg in the freezer. :D

There's a load of brambles out round us at the moment - I'm going with the 2kg per gallon on the rhubarb front and there will be grape juice in the mix too.

How much blackberry should I add for one of the gallons?

I have used as little as 500g of blackberries with 2kg rhubarb for a gallon - really up to personal taste, blackberry is quite a strong flavour though but goes really well with the rhubarb as does raspberry, I have also done rhubarb and orange which was lovely!

:cheers:

calumscott said:
My rhubarb crown is, how should I put it, "productive" this year! It got a bit crazy and getting down the path was a bit of a pain so I hacked out all the big stalks.

A couple of kg are getting turned into crumble for dinner tonight and I've now got 4kg in the freezer. :D

There's a load of brambles out round us at the moment - I'm going with the 2kg per gallon on the rhubarb front and there will be grape juice in the mix too.

How much blackberry should I add for one of the gallons?

Ah, some one else who is not afraid to use rhubard after mid summer!

I did 2.5 kg rhubarb + 4 litres of apple juice made up to 10 litres. After 3 days I split this into two DJs left one as it is and put a sliced ginger root in the other. Should be ready for racking this week.

I would say you only need a handfull of blackberry otherwise you could loose the fantastic rhubarb flavour.

OldPeculier said:

Why wouldn't you? Rhubarb is, as far as I can tell, rhubarb... It's awesomeness lasts as long as it keeps growing...

Picked up a packet of Vintners Harvest AW4 German White yeast for the rhubarb. Just to add some fruity esters to offset what will likely be quite an acidic wine...

...good idea? ...bad idea?

:?: :hmm:

calumscott said:
OldPeculier said:

Why wouldn't you? Rhubarb is, as far as I can tell, rhubarb... It's awesomeness lasts as long as it keeps growing...

There is evidence to suggest that it becomes poisonous as the season goes on. You should never eat it after a frost as this triggers the oxalic acid to travel from the leaves to the stem, but I reckon its ok into August.

My Rhubarb from a couple of months ago (Found the pic on my phone)

Both from the same batch, the same bucket, split into 2 demi's then the different yeast the only change'
Top dark pink was the champagne yeast, bottom lighter pink, the standard yeast.

Also not exactly brewed in very different locations.

The elderflower is similar in looks, I think the Champagne yeast leaves more colour behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back