Brewery yeast...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
..erm... is it just healthier and happier than commercial packaged yeast...?

I pitched what I cultured (well 2/3 of what I cultured) from a polypin of Hook Norton Gold into my porter-y stuff this morning.

It has gone absolutely batsh*t crazy! Not massive head or anything just seriously rapid start and seriously vigorous ferment! Normally with commercial yeast I have to wait 36-48 hours for the main event. I pitched at just gone 7 this morning and when I got home about half six it was really going strong...

And even with the most vigorous bit of fermentation I usually get a rash of bubbles through the airlock, pause, another blast, pause... Not this stuff!! It is just constantly bubbling through - it is seriously aggressive stuff!!

Anyone else found this with reclaimed or donated brewery yeast?

Without a doubt, it tends to be yeast on speed. Try and get some direct from the brewery if you can, pushed the lid of the fermenting vessel. You can see why a lot of brewery use open fermenters.

The stuff that Dennis gave me went off like a rocket, however I left the yeast cake from that brew in the fridge for 2 months and it took a few days to revitalise with a bit of wort, then when it was pitched it took a further 18hrs to get going, now it is going like a goodun. :thumb: :thumb:

Whenever I have used it seen the same thing.. WLP023 can be pretty similar mind :shock: :shock:

Back