Should my Chardonnay kit wine look like wee

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

Reaction score
I have about one week left before it should be finished and ready to finally rack, but its not the colour of chardonnay Ive seen in the bottles...is this normal?

thanks

F

sorry should have said Im a total newbie to this..my first kit...also does anyone know how much sterliser (youngs) is needed for a gallon bucket to sterilise it... :wha:

Thanks

Wee colour, yep sounds about right for a white wine :rofl:
Remember Chardonnay will have been stored in oak barrels and imparted some colour and taste to the commercial wine.

For sterilizing it depends on the solution. I make mine up in a squirty bottle, but before I scrub with soapy hot water and rinse.

Sean

fletcher said:
also does anyone know how much sterliser (youngs) is needed for a gallon bucket to sterilise it... :wha:
Mix 1 teaspoonful up in two or three pints of tepid water. Leave it in for at least 15 minutes and sloosh it around a few times during that period. Airlocks, hydrometer, trial jar etc. can all go in the bucket in the meantime, and then you can pour it into your DJ or other fermenter and sloosh that around for a bit. Rinse everything well afterwards.

Oh, don't sloosh it around while the hydrometer's in there or you might be shopping for a replacement. :nono:

Thanks for that people...Im really starting to get into it now, but its a bit embarrassing when you can't find out the simple stuff, like how much sterilsier to use, so I really appreciate the time taken to explian.

Am making a peach wine now and hopefully my off colour chardonnay will be ready soon. Next step a red I think.

F :D

fletcher said:
but its a bit embarrassing when you can't find out the simple stuff
Don't be ridiculous, if there's something you need to ask or don't fullly understand, post it. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum.

We'll even try to hold back on the stupid answers until we know you much better ;) :lol:

I came here knowing SFA about brewing beer and I've probably asked my fair share of basic questions.

Latest posts

Back