Traditional Bitter Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadfordbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages to make a 25 litre brew- with an abv of around 5%. This will be my first attempt to brew without a kit, but without having to go the whole hog and mash. Not quite ready for that yet as I don't have any of the required kit.

Malt
3kg pale liquid malt extract
1kg medium dried malt extract
250g crushed crystal malt

Bittering Hops
50g First Gold
25g Bramling Cross

Aroma Hops
50g East kent Goldings

Copper finings
Not sure which yeast to use? any suggestions?

If it were me I would drop the Medium Malt extract for Light Malt extract and get the colour from steeping speciality grains. . . . If you are steeping Crystal there is nothing stopping you steeping a couple of oz of Roast/black malt as well.

Hop choice is nice

Yeast the usual suspects

Nottingham, Windsor, US05, S04, Gervin (Nottingham)

Cheers guys.

Aleman,
I'm interested in doing that, but I'm not sure I understand how to use the grain? Do I just put it in loose? When do I put it in and for how long?

Thanks for this, I can't wait to have a bash. I just need to drink half of my current brew so that I have enough bottles to get started with this one :thumb:

bishopsfinger said:
Aleman,
I'm interested in doing that, but I'm not sure I understand how to use the grain
Well how were you intending to use the crushed crystal malt ? :hmm: . . . The Roast or Black malt would go in with that.

Hi bishopsfinger.
I too am an extract brewer, you can see my latest batch here

To steep the speciality grains, I'd just throw them in with your crystal malt.
For my urn, I got 8 ltrs of water to 70c and then let the grains steep in there for 30 mins keeping it at a constant temp. I put the grains in a nylon grain bag.
After 30 mins, take them out, top up the water to 10 l add the extract and bring to the boil.

Aleman said:
bishopsfinger said:
Aleman,
I'm interested in doing that, but I'm not sure I understand how to use the grain
Well how were you intending to use the crushed crystal malt ? :hmm: . . . The Roast or Black malt would go in with that.

That might be an obvious answer to you, but I'm very new to all of this. Like I say this is in the planning, so your thoughts are welcome. Cheers.

QED said:
Hi bishopsfinger.
I too am an extract brewer, you can see my latest batch here

To steep the speciality grains, I'd just throw them in with your crystal malt.
For my urn, I got 8 ltrs of water to 70c and then let the grains steep in there for 30 mins keeping it at a constant temp. I put the grains in a nylon grain bag.
After 30 mins, take them out, top up the water to 10 l add the extract and bring to the boil.

Thanks QED

Latest posts

Back