Ginger beer - the alcohol sort ... recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Folks - perusing for a good 25l ginger beer recipe.

Seems to be a few on the forum.

Who's a got a recent tried and tested recipe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 x tins of light LME or 1 tin + 1kg sucrose
500g-1kg fresh ginger rinsed and grated skin n all
juice from 6 lemons rind scraped from 3
optional 1 teaspoon of chilli NO MORE!! (1st time i misunderstood and added 1 table spoon -OUCH- HOT it stung to drink..!!)
optoinal 1 tablespoon of treacle.
upto 50g of dry ginger added to the FV pre yeast pitching.

boil up in a big pan (10-15l) the lme sugar lemons ginger chilli and treacle and water to fill the pan (so you can boil so 2-3cm of headroom in the pan.) simmer for 35-45 mins topping up if it starts to boil down.

add the dry ginger to the clean and sanitised FV and strain the hot pan onto it and top up to 5 gallons with cold water and pitch with US-05 ;)

result is a crisp ginger beer with a hot chilli bite ;)

buying ginger by the kilo is cheaper in small ethnic shops than the supermarket..

ive refined this over the years from a jamaican gb recipe provided by the local home brew shop, i add more lemons and less treacle.. the treacle can impart an overpowering licorice flavour if too much is used, its a nice undertone but is too much if too strong.

Chilli powder is optional and if overdone can be Nasty.. i used a table spoon ONCE in order to avoid a painful stinging mouth it needed dilutung 50/50 with grapefruit juice which made a Grand summer thirst quencher.. but as a stand alone GB it was not a success..

Latest posts

Back