Attempting a Saison from a Pils kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After seeing the Biere Du Mois Saison on the coopers site i fancied having a crack at it but going to try two different approaches as i didnt want to use two kits and extra fermentables.

This being the first brew, the second will go on next week.

Brew 1:

Coopers brewmaster pilsener kit
1.8kg muntons light malt extract
Safbrew T-58 yeast
40g Styrian Goldings Hops(added for 5 days after fermentation complete then rack)

Brew 2:

Coopers brewmaster pilsener kit
1.8kg wheat malt extract
Danstar belle saison yeast
40g Saaz Hops(added for 5 days after fermentation complete then rack)

Not really sure what im trying to achieve, just like to experiment a bit and like this style of beer. Just be interesting how the two turn out and if they taste like a saison style or if they are ******* childs of the style.

So started brew 1 tonight. 22L og 1.048 pitched @ 15c, ferment temp will be 16-18c.

Fingers crossed.

No, just came back from work late, to a cold empty house. That's divorce for you. :doh:

On the upside, I then had an evening to myself, no rules imposed. :party:

It had crept up to 19.9c today so i put it outside for a few hours til it dropped down to 13.4c, brought it inside and a hour later its up to 15.2c, room temp is 18.6c.

May have to put it in the shed in a bucket of water with a spare aquarium heater tomorrow.

Most sulphurous brew yet, proper honks!

I would be inclined to either do it without added spices, to check the yeasts out, or just rack a gallon into a demijohn if you have one, as Rob suggests, and add spices to that, as an experiment.

Ah yeh, good plan. I have a 5L water bottle i could use. Once ferment has finished i will rack and add hops, then after a week rack again into two containers and add spices to one then pit them in the shed for a week or two.

I have never used spices, so not sure when they are added, but the idea of splitting it is a good one. The more ways you experiment, the more you learn. :thumb:

Only used them in my mega death firey ginger beer, added at the start after boiling them in a pan for a bit, but they mellowed out during fermentation, so added more after ferment and they stayed. Think best after ferment as the flavour stays stronger.

Been at 1.014 for a week now so going to rack and hop tonight, fair buildup on the bottom. Will leave it on hops for 5 days then final rack for it to go into the shed for two weeks before bottling. Will split 5L off to add peppercorns, ginger and star anise to as another experiment. Will get brew number two underway next weekend.

Was surprisingly tasty from the trial jar, probably better than any of the others so far. Know that it can change massively over time, but hopes are high. Could also detect a slight spicy note but quite sweet too, the 5L brew could be interesting with the additional bits in.

Not sure what the sweetness is all about. What do you make of the yeast? And the hops?

Latest posts

Back