vinegar smell?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephent

Reaction score
got a merlot thats just finished fermenting. added the finnings but it smells a bit vinegary. is this normal and will the smell go?

Have you maintained integrity to it all the time, if the old o2 gets in during the process it will react with your wine and turn it to vinegar.

Its also possible that the old vinegar fly has gotten in or it could just go and tatse lush.

girlfriend has tried it and think it tastes like vinegar.

Fermentation was vigorous. Temp should be fairly contsant, didnt use an airlock on the fv, but didnt seal it all the way around.

What you think? Can it be salvaged?

Sounds to me like an infection :( You might av 2 dump it and give your equipment a really good sterilize.
BB

stephent said:
girlfriend has tried it and think it tastes like vinegar.

Fermentation was vigorous. Temp should be fairly contsant, didnt use an airlock on the fv, but didnt seal it all the way around.

What you think? Can it be salvaged?

Dood, can I ask why you didnt use an airlock on the FV? If you allow airbbourne bugs in to the vessel it is almost certainly gonna carry along bacteria that cause infections which leads to a vinegar taste.

Dont fret tho man your not on your own I have had to pour a few good looking wines down the drain because of this in the past.

I did have a banana and pear once which vinegered but i waited until the fermentation had finished , added a campden tablet and stabilised it. Left it in the bottles for a good 3 months and it meelowed nicvely and was quite drinkable, so its your call mate. but good luck with it.

well i did post aking if i needed an airlock and someone said no. lid was on tight apart from a couple of inches. i wouldnt say bad air would be able to get in.

what will the campden tablet do?

Do I take it from your original post that you've made wine, all the way, in a bucket? :eek: :nono:

If making a country wine (from fruit or veg) it would usually be strained into a demijohn or PET after 3-7 days. Juice wines or kit wines with no fruit solids should be in a closed fermenter under airlock from the start, and topped up to the neck when the first vigourous fermentation has died down.

Rack it to a closed fermenter and add 2 crushed campden tablets per gallon, this will kill any bugs and guard against further oxidation.

Don't chuck it, patience will still probably reward you :thumb:

stephent said:
well i did post aking if i needed an airlock and someone said no. lid was on tight apart from a couple of inches. i wouldnt say bad air would be able to get in.
You're quite right, you did.

I would have answered the same as Dave, you don't need an airlock on a bucket but you do on a DJ. It probably didn't even cross anyone's mind that you might leave it in a bucket.

It's not a question of bad air getting in, it's the surface area exposed to air when fermentation has died down. In a DJ that would be about 2 inches in diameter, in a bucket it's massive.

Rewind: That shouldn't necessarily be a criticism against you if you didn't know any better. Do you still have your kit instructions? If so, what do they advise for a fermentation vessel? If it's a Young's kit nothing would surprise me.

its a youngs kit and it says to use an FV with an airlock, thats why i asked the question in the first place.

Rang the store i got it from this morning and they have agreed to give me a refund anyway.

I'll do it in the bucket again, but will use an airlock.

There is also an oily look to the surface of the wine. Woudl that indicate an infection?

just to clarify again, it has only been in the bucket to ferment. I was going to bottle it after the yeast had done its bit.

Back