Another pressure barrel query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano469

Reaction score
After my cider not carbonating in my pressure barrel (a brand new Balliihoo) i decided to transfer it into bottles last night, the thing is there wasn't even a hiss when i removed the lid so im guessing there must have been a leak so no build up of pressure and hence why i have no carbonation. Has anyone got any tips for sealing, i did put a smear of vaseline on the lid before i fitted it but i put it on really tight, can you over tighten them?

Well i found the culprit for causing the leak, it was the rubber band around the cap for the pressure relief. Connected my compressor to the tap and pressurized the barrel up to 7psi and found air leaking from it. Ive now moved the rubber band and its holding pressure so will have another go at carbonating in the barrel again later this week.

Hi
Everyone has probs when first trying to use these budget barrels - I know I did. After assiduous online research, I combined several of the recommends I found. Now, I get good results from budget barrels if I:

Re-form the cap washer. Remove it, put in a bowl etc. Pour boiled water from the kettle on it. Leave until water has cooled. (This removes marks etc from previous use).

Use a little vaseline. Prime your beer, replace the washer in the cap, and lightly smear vaseline on it, and on the cap threads.

Don't over-tighten. This distorts the cap washer and prevents sealing.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Chris

Latest posts

Back