Coopers Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WER

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to put a Coopers Stout on at the weekend, I'll be using medium DME in place of the sugar in the instructions (probably with an additional 500g of sugar, but haven't decided finally). Other than that I'm not planning to muck about with it too much, possibly brewing short to 20l.

Anyway, having read a few posts on here about brews overflowing the FV I'm concerned about how vigorous this kit is. Has anyone had any experience with this? How long is the 'danger period' - I'm assuming the first day or so of fermentation is the most vigorous?

SHMBO won't be happy if it goes nuclear!
mad0025.gif

Thanks for your help!

The general consensus is that this is a pretty excitable kit. I'm planning on doing this kit soon, and I will be using a blow-off tube. This replaces the air lock. Essentially you take a piece of tubing and place it in the hole for the airlock, take the other end of tube to a bowl of water - you then have a massive airlock, able to take a lot more capacity, and therefore release more pressure.

The blow off tube is exactly what I implemented on my second batch of Cooper Stout and definitely took most of the pressure away. The kit goes off like a rocket for about 24hours max then settles down quite quickly. The benefit of this is that it ferments out very quickly also. I switched back to my normal airlock after the first day but I was very glad I had the blow off tube in place!

I'm very tempted with the treacle but not sure if I should try it straight first. If only I had enough space in my flat for more PBs, I'd make it both ways. I'll just have to be patient :-(

A blow off tube doesn't release any more pressure than a standard airlock. Both allow gas to escape without any airborne nasties coming the other way. The benefit is that when your krauesen forces its way out the FV it doesn't land all over the top of it and make a big mess.

Sounds like I'll need to fashion a blow off valve to be on the safe side. I've got some syphon tubing that I don't use (came with a Wilko syphon kit but was too short) so should be able to cobble something together.

Thanks for the advice chaps! :cheers:

Back