Backer Elements - a'clicking and a'tripping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rparkera

Reaction score
Hi there

I have been using a pair of Backer Kettle elements in my 100L Bergland stock pot for over three years now with great success - dozens of brews. Last September, though I got the dreaded click click of the cut outs switching out half way through a boil, one after another. Aaargghhh :cry: They both went during the boil. These elements are the round connector 13A 2750w type - and the boiler was built according to Vossy's excellent howto (though the centres are 40mm from the base rather than 70mm as suggested).

Anyhoo - I had had 3 years use from them. So shrugged my shoulders and mortgaged the house to buy two more. Used those for six brews and they both went again yesterday. 20 minutes in - click, click and one had stopped, 20 minutes more and the other went the same way. One totally dead - the other cutting in and out. Maddening!

Anyone got any ideas why this sort of thing happens. Can't see anyway to get into the element to deactivate the cut out?

What to do next? - don't want to waste £40 on another pair of potentially duff elements. Can't see enough room in their for two 11" immersion heaters. Help :confused: - anyone had this experience? Be very grateful for any advice.

(I was boiling 80L of wort to make a 60l batch of stout; we are in a soft water area and the elements are cleaned up after every brew. No obvious 'mechanical' issues visible on any of the four elements)

I'm baffled!

Not knowing your specific elements this is guess work, but if the clicking is the death throw of the conductive heating core of the elements i would send the new 2 back for replacement, i wouldn't mention brewing to em just your disgust at the elements failure so soon after buying.

the budget tesco elements ive used have a thermal cut out which if tripped will after a cooling off period reset. are yours similar in this respect or are the blown?

Hi Fil

They seem to reset after a minute or two, one of them at least definitely does. Of course you lose the rolling boil totally - and the temperature slowly drops - to 95C by the end of the boil. So not much of a boil at all.

I can't see what I might be doing wrong - as they worked well for such a good time. Maybe there is something I am not seeing here ...

r

Ahh so its a thermal cut out and not elements dying ;) is there any evidence of the thermal cut out device on the element at all??

on the tesco elements i used there was a small white pin which got pushed in by a ?bimetalic? ping ring, ( a circle of metal with an area stamped out?)

i pulled both out with pliers and had no further cut out issues??

That's exactly it. The thermal cut outs trip with and audible click. Then trip back on. Have had a really good look but no sign of any external anything or way to access the innards. What baffles me is the two going at the same time. Like happened in Sept last year.

Back