Supermarket grape juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Reaction score
Hello. I'm Brian.
I've made a few kit wines and have been very happy with the results. So I have a little experience. However I've just bought from Lidl six litre cartons of Red Grape Juice.
It is labelled as Premium and highlighted NOT FROM CONCENTRATE.
The only reference regarding contents is another highlighted circle on the front that says "Fruit 100% content"

So my thinking is I have enough to fill a demijohn and want to have a go at turning it into wine.
What I would like is some advice regarding what I need to add to it regarding things like citric acid or black tea etc.
Also I will have to check the sg with my hydrometer and would like advice on what it should be at the outset and if brewing sugar will be ok to increase it if required.

I don't suppose when fermented out the finished wine will be great but at 89 pence a litre I though it was worth having a go.

HOWEVER if you think I'm being to optimistic and probably wasting my time then on its own it makes a pleasant drink because I've just had a taste so it wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks in anticipation best regards to all Brian

what I do is use 4 litres of supermarket grape juice, add about 850g of sugar and top up to 5 litres with water.
Use a teaspoon of Youngs yeast ( the one that can tolerate high alcohol ) and just leave it to ferment out.

I've used all the supermarket red grape juices. The aldi or lidl ones seem to have a strange liquorice type flavour, nothing wrong with it but it's whether you like it or not.

The absolute best for making a really good red wine is asda red grape juice in a carton. Unfortunately they haven't had it in stock for quite a few months, I think there's been some kind of grape shortage.

When it's back in stock I'm buying loads :)

what I do is use 4 litres of supermarket grape juice, add about 850g of sugar and top up to 5 litres with water.
Use a teaspoon of Youngs yeast ( the one that can tolerate high alcohol ) and just leave it to ferment out.

I've used all the supermarket red grape juices. The aldi or lidl ones seem to have a strange liquorice type flavour, nothing wrong with it but it's whether you like it or not.

The absolute best for making a really good red wine is asda red grape juice in a carton. Unfortunately they haven't had it in stock for quite a few months, I think there's been some kind of grape shortage.

When it's back in stock I'm buying loads :)
Thank you for your reply. I just thought I would give it a try with it not being so expensive.
I've got a sachet of red wine yeast that I'd thought to use but I'm not sure if it is high alcohol tolerant so I'll have to get the youngs one after the weekend.
Cheers for now Brian

Thank you for your reply. I just thought I would give it a try with it not being so expensive.
I've got a sachet of red wine yeast that I'd thought to use but I'm not sure if it is high alcohol tolerant so I'll have to get the youngs one after the weekend.
Cheers for now Brian

There's a lengthy thread on WOW's and making wine from supermarket fruit juices on the Wine and Cider part of the forum that includes an explanation of why dessert grapes don't make particularly good wine on their own.

I'll just post the link in a jiffy.

The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Recipes > Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine WOW

There's a lengthy thread on WOW's and making wine from supermarket fruit juices on the Wine and Cider part of the forum that includes an explanation of why dessert grapes don't make particularly good wine on their own.

I'll just post the link in a jiffy.

The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Recipes > Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine WOW

Thank you again for your help.
I've just had a quick look through the threads you have highlighted and They are just what I need. I really need to get myself more familiar with what is actually available on the forum.
I'm going to look closer because I think one of the threads went into detail about how to work out sugar requirements and that's something I don't understand yet but will obviously need to know if I'm going to have a go at anything other than Kit Wines?
Thank you again for the advice.
I'm going to have a good browse and take a few notes.
Best regards
Brian

Latest posts

Back