Wine brewing yeast allergy, maybe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well just started wine making after a good 38 year gap and last night after work I opened the lid to my 30 bottle kit to test.

Well, woke up at 4.15am to a left face very swollen and my right hand the very same the hand I used to dip my hydro in.

I’ve not changed my washing powder, food antything so this has to be the reason so my question is…..

Do you think this is the cause of my swelling like an allergic reaction to the yeast?

If so anyone else had the same issues and what is the best preventative measures I can take like wearing a mask, suit what ever.

Regards.

Not OTT just a bubble every 30 seconds or so.

But that’s the only thing I’ve gone near or touched.

IMG_0254.jpeg

Contact anaphylaxis to yeast would be extremely extremely rare, but not impossible

As the yeast used by the kit will be genetically almost identical to the yeast you are exposed to every day around fruit and veg, plus any more craft wines you may have drink historically over the years (not all wine is filtered and pasteurised slop shipped over in 1t IBCs)
But it might be worth taking an antihistamine to see if the effects subside quickly and then doing a very specific skin test once these symptoms have fully cleared up.
Put a little circle using a magic marker on the back of your hand, inner forearm and outer forearm and then put a single drop in each circle. leave for 60seconds, then rinse well.
Check carefully for any reaction in and around the circles for the next 12 hours.

Its a strange one indeed and yes it is rare indeed but will look into it further.

I have been to the docs and they have prescribed me with Steroids and antihistamine tablets and from this morning to now my face has reduced by 95% but as above my hand is still swollen.

Just a waiting game and more tabs.

Good advice here.

The reason I asked about is stage of fermentation was to understand the status the wine.

I agree its more likely sulphites than yeast, but there will be very little at this stage.

DO NOT ADD campden tab. You will bugger up the wine. Let it ferment. Wine is not beer.

I fancy artificial preservatives, but that will be very hard to prove.

@Nicks90 that's a great idea, but one for once the docs tablets are over. I would try the juice, a yeast solution and campden solution.

Final thoughts, could this have been a reaction with something that was previously on your skin?
Think double dipping.

Do you get it making beer?
Is it cleaning products?
Is it something completely different you touched around that time?

Well after. Sitting the docs and taking tabs my rash has gone but I still feel **** to be honest not my usual self.

I have no idea what caused it and I’m trying to narrow down why I had for the first time what looks like Hives.

Anyway, thanks all.

Latest posts

Back