1 can kits - newbie question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've only recently started home brewing following a kit my son bought me for my birthday. So i'm full of enthusiasm but lacking in knowledge.
After reading through many of the threads on the forum I have a question for my first post:

I have read that a one can kit can be improved by doubling up and putting 2 cans into the same brew without the need to add sugar/brew enhancer and brewing to normal 23L - this seems a good option when you can get hold of 1 can kits in a sale for a good price. Especially when you can buy two 1 can kits for less than a 2 can kit.
Therefore, my question is how much of an improvement (if any) would it give over using a 1 can kit with beer enhancer?

Also, on the same theme I have also read that it is not advisable to only make a 1 can kit up to 1/2 volume - i.e brew a 23 litre short to 12L. The reason being that it will be too bitter. Surely this is the same as doubling up a 1 can kit? I don't see what the difference is - or I have missed something basic.

Hope the above makes sense.

Hello & welcome!

The beauty of home brewing is that you can experiment and see what suits your individual tastes. As you have stated, the 1 can kits, particularly in the Wilko sale, are pretty cheap, and unless you do something catastrophic, you will end with a drinkable brew.

That said, the Wilko own brand 2 can kits are currently £12.75 and the Woodfordes Wherry is only £14.25 - both of which are absolute bargains at those prices and are the ones I would recommend to start you off.

Get a couple of "standard" brews under your belt and then, once you have a bit more confidence and experience, you can start to tinker.

If you search the forum for reviews using the keyword Wilko or Wherry you will be able to read some reviews and opinions on the the respective kits.

Hope that helps & good luck with your 1st creation.

FatCol

One can kits are hopped based on the assumption that it will be made up with sugar or enhanced, so I think your comparison of brewing to half volume with two 1 can kits in one 23 ltr brew is a fair one. Might be too bitter/hoppy.

Try a one can kit with an additional can of unhopped malt extract. This would start to get nearly as expensive as a '2 can'/3kg+ premium kit though!

Latest posts

Back