To airlock or not to airlock ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam18

Reaction score
Hi all,

A lot of the information on beer brewing (particularly on american sites/forums it seems) stress the importance of using an airlock when you brew. I never have and haven't had any problems so far (only done a handful of brews though) I have always just left the lid of my fermenter slightly open.

What do people think about the need for an airlock? Also, does anyone see there being a difference in the finished product depending on if one is used or not?

Ta

Fermenting bins do not have an airtight seal (so no need to leave the lid open a crack) . Pressure from the inside forces CO2 out, but as your fermentation finishes and the pressure drops that grinds to a halt. The seal, however is tight enough for stopping air getting in. After all, your beer is only in the FV for a couple of weeks. So I'd say, an airlock is a waste of time.

An airlock gives a good indication of what going on inside and stops any dust insects or other items getting in. I see little reason not to use one as they certainly do no harm but they are not essential.

No need imho like Cwrw666 says.
I use the coopers fv which doesn't even shut as tight as the standard vessel and no problems on my third brew with it. Other two vessels that I have (standard white bins) have plain lids and no airlocks either. (both with taps though so I do not have to open them to take samples) Probably would be nice to have the airlock (to give you a rough idea when the fermentation is nearing the end) if you don't have the tap and need to take samples from the top. Not the greatest of ideas to open the lid unless you have to)

Only reason I use one? My starter kit came with a grommeted lid and I need to fill the hole!

It never bubbles, and I assume the excess CO2 comes out at the side of the lid! A bulging lid tells me fermentation is going on, and a gravity reading tells me when it's finished!

I have a youngs fermenting bin. I put an airlock on it just because I could :). the water pushes part way down, the lid bulges, then the gas just seeps out of the lid, even with it pushed down tight. Never had any bubble overs, not even with a stout, though I am only on my 4th brew. I've gained nothing from putting the airlock on which I pretty much expected after I posted a similar question on here. It only cost a couple of quid so I gave in to curiosity.

I too use one and you can pick them up so cheap I don't see why not. I also like to use it as an indicator too.... oh and with bubble airlocks I like to hear the "glub..glub".

I Also think that I put so much effort into making something I want to make sure it comes out as good as it can. I don't trust those little fruit flies either, sneaky little ****s can climb into anything.

Latest posts

Back