Racking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcohol

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone could advise on racking.
I always thought this was done at the end of 2nd fermentation.
But have just read you should rack off sediment once or more during fermentation. ?
Any thoughts would be welcome.

It is just the term used, when siphoning off the sediment into another vessel.

But have just read you should rack off sediment once or more during fermentation

Wine kits usually advise to use the same FV from start to finish then bottle, with my juice wines i rack into a second DJ once fermentation has finished, i then degas,stabilise and clear the wine in the second DJ.

If pulp fermenting, I rack 24 hours after straining to remove fine pulp sediment, which can be quite a thick layer. It's a good policy to rack when the sg is down to 1010, to remove the initial yeast sediment, which can cause an off flavour. On the other hand, a small layer of yeast sediment can be beneficial while the wine is maturing in bulk. Sometimes this causes a malolactic fermentation, which makes the wine smoother. If the wine contains a lot of tartaric acid, crystals may form if the wine is stored at a low temperature, which can be removed by racking.

Thanks for the tips.
My marrow wine had been fermenting in DJ for two weeks and is sat on quite a thick sediment.
Would I be best to rack it off then ?
What I was trying to find out was is the sediment all unwanted and that I would not be racking off any useful yeast that was still alive.
Don't want to end up with yeasty tasting wine

I think I am right in saying that the live yeast is in the liquid, and the sediment is the dead yeast and the solids that have settled out.

Back