Pilsner first timer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minesa1664

Reaction score
Hello all.

On Thursday I will be trying my 1st go at pilsner with WLP800 for the 1st time. I really want to only do a single temp mash...beersmith tells me I will be OK but do you guys have any suggestions or experience with pils???

Cheers

Will

Yes a single rest will be fine. You could add some melanoidin malt which gives you a hint of the flavours developed when using a decoction mash.

Imo the fermentation is going to be the most important part of a pils. Big healthy starter, pitch at ferment temp (depending how you chill, may need to stick in a fermentation fridge to knock down the last couple of degrees before pitching) nail the temps, diacetyl rest towards the end and a good couple of months lagering.

Is a diacetyl rest dropping it to zero degrees when fermentation is done?

I have fermentation fridge.

What temp should I start the fermentation at?

Cheers

Will

No, quite the opposite. You raise the temperature from ferment temps (10-12c) to 16-17c for a couple of days.

Diacetyl is a byproduct of fermentation temps. At ale ferment temps it cleans up after itself, but doesnt at lower temps. Raise and hold for a couple of days and it'll clean up the diacetyl and eat up any remaining gravity points.

Diacetyl is considered an off flavour (most of the time) and has a butterscotch sort of flavour to it. Its also caused by poor sanitation and dirty lines when dispensing, you may well have had a dodgy pint caused by it.

Latest posts

Back