Hochkurz Mash and FG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone share typical differences they're seeing in FG on the same batch when using a Hochkurz or Single Infusion mash? Or just some anecdotal evidence will be useful.

It seems that Beersmith and Brewfather are wildly overstimating the FG when step mashes are used (per Beersmith and step mashing).

Edit - Some figures may help. With a 1.047 OG beer and 74% attenuating yeast, BS is predicting an FG of 1.007 with Hochkurz (63° for 40 mins, 71° for 30 min@), and an FG of 1.011 with infusion (66.5° for 60 mins).

@foxy and @Pennine I know you guys are a fan of this mash regime.

I've used it for the first time in an Italian Pils so can update when that is done, just keen to understand for future lager recipes I'll design.

Last edited:
Can anyone share typical differences they're seeing in FG on the same batch when using a Hochkurz or Single Infusion mash? Or just some anecdotal evidence will be useful.

It seems that Beersmith and Brewfather are wildly overstimating the FG when step mashes are used (per Beersmith and step mashing).

Edit - Some figures may help. With a 1.047 OG beer and 74% attenuating yeast, BS is predicting an FG of 1.007 with Hochkurz (63° for 40 mins, 71° for 30 min@), and an FG of 1.011 with infusion (66.5° for 60 mins).

I've used it for the first time in an Italian Pils so can update when that is done, just keen to understand for future lager recipes I'll design.
I've used it a few times and get a lower fg than a single infusion mash. No quantitative results to share though.

Mine have actually been finishing a bit higher than single infusion at 65c. It's similar to the 67-68c range. I usually do 62c for 30min-68/70c for 30min-78c for 10min.

I 'think' more sugar is extracted, can't prove it, only used the Hoch Kurz on bigger stouts and because the stout has Flaked barley I stir for 15 minutes or maybe a little more continuously to prevent the flaked adjunct dropping to the bottom so its either the stirring, the step mash or a combination of the two.
Really would only be beneficial on floor malted pilsner, I have never tried it on a Bitter really no need, though some do and get a better mash efficiency, I may try it on a bitter one of theses days, see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back