Cooper Stout Winter Warmer advice please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hainsey

Reaction score
I've just ordered a tin of Coopers Stout and want to make a nice winter warmer similar to a mulled wine, more like a mulled stout.

I'm thinking of adding:

I have some questions as never tried this before:
  • Should I add any more fermentables?
  • How should I use the spices? Just chuck in fv or boil or steep in hot water?
  • Should I add any hops? I have 70g of East Kent Golding's in the freezer but could buy others. I don't have a boiler as oi haven't built it yet so could either dry hop or use a small pan on hob or build boiler first (if of considerable benefit but would prefer to just get this in the fv asap)

Cheers in advance.

I've just ordered a tin of Coopers Stout and want to make a nice winter warmer similar to a mulled wine, more like a mulled stout.

I'm thinking of adding:

I have some questions as never tried this before:
  • Should I add any more fermentables?
  • How should I use the spices? Just chuck in fv or boil or steep in hot water?
  • Should I add any hops? I have 70g of East Kent Golding's in the freezer but could buy others. I don't have a boiler as oi haven't built it yet so could either dry hop or use a small pan on hob or build boiler first (if of considerable benefit but would prefer to just get this in the fv asap)

Cheers in advance.

If it was me, I would definitely add at least 500g Extra Dark Malt and brew short to 20L (if you want a stronger beer) I wouldn't add any hops as I think this kit is just fine as it is but I don't like hoppy beer. As to the spices, sorry I've no idea but I wouldn't mind trying that myself. Sounds interesting. If you do manage to brew this, keep us updated.

I have done this kit quite a few times and it really is foolproof. I always use 1.5Kg of Spraymalt, 450g of Black Treacle and always brew short to 20L, comes out about 5.9%ish. Using just 1Kg of fermentables brings it down to about 5%.

Good luck

If it was me, I would definitely add at least 500g Extra Dark Malt and brew short to 20L (if you want a stronger beer) I wouldn't add any hops as I think this kit is just fine as it is but I don't like hoppy beer. As to the spices, sorry I've no idea but I wouldn't mind trying that myself. Sounds interesting. If you do manage to brew this, keep us updated.

I have done this kit quite a few times and it really is foolproof. I always use 1.5Kg of Spraymalt, 450g of Black Treacle and always brew short to 20L, comes out about 5.9%ish. Using just 1Kg of fermentables brings it down to about 5%.

Good luck

Cheers for info, unfortunately only got Medium spraymalt as wilko had no darker, do you think this be ok? I will increase to 1.5kg to up the abv a bit.

Latest posts

Back