tinkering with canned kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch_Food_Geek

Reaction score
First of all: I never, ever made a canned kit... So no experience whatsoever there.

Still I've got a question.
I got two kits from a friend who got them because he loves beer and people thought it would be a nice gift for him. But he will never make them. So he gave them to me like maybe you can do something with this...

I know i can tinker on kits, use extra grains, hops and so on, and that is of course the obvious route to go. Dunk some frozen raspberries or forest fruits or strawberries in the Brewferm wheat for second fermentation and go... I will probably do that anyway.

But most of those blasted kits are for 23 liters :| (I know the Brewferm wheat is for 15 liters yes) Which is way more than i make usually so all my equipment is made for 10 liters...

Therefore my question: would it be possible to make say 12 liters with a 20 or 23 liter kit. Then transfer that for secondary so i would bottle 10 liters at the end? (trust me, the math works out). Or would i go horribly off flavour.
With the wheat i probably would dare this coming from 15 liters. But with the bulldog four finger jack APA?

I would love to hear some experiences and opinions....

Have you ever thought of just getting a 30L fermenter?

I have spent some time in Den Haag (2006) and loved the reception I got from your people. Really welcoming and forgiving of the fact that after 4 months, I knew not a single word of the language that I didn't know from O level German (I know this to be a faux pas).

But to be honest, not just doing the obvious, as opposed to what you always do, is something of a character trait, I would suggest.

Get a big bucket and stick all the stuff in it is my suggestion.

Apologies, of cousre, should this offend. ;-)

It doesn't offend...
My fermenter isn't the problem. I've got a 30L.

My demijohns which I use for secondary are the issue. My max size is 10L
Could use two and split the batch over two demijohns... But, I was also just curious what would happen if I would cut down on the water significantly...

I would expect that if you brewed to say 21L - 21.5L, left it 2 wks in primary and racked carefully to 2x 10L demijohns, there should be very little volume loss on bottling and you would get as close to 20L as you need.

For racking, I tend to wedge a large and thick dictionary under one end of the fermenter towards the end of the racking process. If the yeast is compacted quite well - as it does after 2 weeks - it is quite easy to remove most of the liquid without picking up much yeast or trub.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Hi

Most kits are formulated to a fixed brew length recipe, so you idea is an interesting one.

There is a calculator here http://www.brewersfriend.com giving the outcome of a recipe.

Might be an idea to run the figures through this for your brew length.

I would think you might have to change the yeast to handle the increased alcohol strength.

At the end of the day a kit is a wort with reduced water content so the Slid's solution is probably the safest route to take.

Back