Geordie Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del

Reaction score
Put this one on at the weekend with 500g brown sugar and 500g brew kit enhancer. Intention is to late hop with Riwaka and to see of I can get close to Bank Top Mild. Any thoughts?

Riwaka is an aroma hop giving citrus notes. (I looked this up :whistle:).
Sounds like you will get a mild that smells and tastes a bit like an American style pale Ale, but a bit weaker. It will certainly be something a bit different.

Have never tasted the mild, but have been on the tour at Bank Top at least once. It is not far from where my daughters went to Brownies.

Hope you like your beer.

I think you might find it a little difficult getting close by just adding some hops.

Couldn't find a clone recipe but after doing a bit of googling the flavours come predominately from the malts, especially as its a dark mild. It definately seems to have roasted barley in it which can be quite a stronng/dominant flavour

Just checked my hop selection and it will be Kohatu and not Riwaka - but just a small quantity to balance the malts a little. Maybe I'm fondly remembering the Bank Top Mild as having a gentle hop taste on the finish but certainly the Craigmill Mild does and I like that one too. In the end, it will be beer.:smile:

Just discovered that the aquarium heater in the water bath that the FV was in has packed in some time in the last 3 or 4 days. Been pretty cold here with morning frosts. There was still airlock activity and I've now got a brewbelt around it - much more active now. What, if anything, might have happened to the brew?

Just discovered that the aquarium heater in the water bath that the FV was in has packed in some time in the last 3 or 4 days. Been pretty cold here with morning frosts. There was still airlock activity and I've now got a brewbelt around it - much more active now. What, if anything, might have happened to the brew?

If it just got cold - nothing really. It will just add a few days onto how long it takes to ferment.

Ideally, a constant fermentation temperature is most desirable, but too slow and cold is probably better than too hot and fast, Don't turn up the belt temp too high is my advice.

Thanks Slid. Temperature has been around freezing for 5 days now so brewbelt is sitting as low as I can get it and the FV is in a box to keep draughts to a minimum. Garage is unheated otherwise but airlock activity never stopped so was unsure how the brew would react to that. Got a new aquarium heater through so might just put the water bath back in situ as I think that that might give better protection from the frost.

Back