stockpot v electric boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davereal

Regular.
Reaction score
hi all.done a couple of kits so far and am going to start my 1st extract brew over xmas.so will need to buy a bigger stockpot . maybe 11 to 15 ltr but not really sure if my gas hob can keep a boil on with such quantity,s. should be ok with11 as can do a 8 ltr pot at the mo.question is ,is it worth just skipping the pot and buying an electric boiler. seeing i'll hopefully go on to biab,or all grain. once i've got a bit more know how. and as i've been press ganged to work 2 weekends before xmas, i have a bit of extra cash.but not really the extra time to make my own.so is this the way forward?should have a spare £150 . any
recommendations or thoughts much appreciated.thanks

Dave, I had this dilemma earlier in the year, and decided to get a gas burner and a 50litres pot. Went the BIAB way and found it easy, not too time consuming, and the beer I produced was great as well. You so have plenty of change out of £150, and its good fun brewing outside!

Dave, I had this dilemma earlier in the year, and decided to get a gas burner and a 50litres pot. Went the BIAB way and found it easy, not too time consuming, and the beer I produced was great as well. You so have plenty of change out of £150, and its good fun brewing outside!
cheers orval. hadn't considered the gas route.as then no issues with pot size. also likeing the buffalo boiler that mm707 mentioned.did trawl thru some previous threads on pots and boilers and does seem bigger the better.

I have two now I use one just for hot water and one for boiling the brew. When I had only one just use it for hot water then drain wort into a plastic fermenter and then pour into the boiler and boil away.

sound. just looked at ebay . £95 no offers . but the link you posted 80quid direct from them. still good.ah ,forget that. sorry. yep ,just found their clearance and made a cheaky 50 notes offer.top link. cheers

tried it and they wern't having it. flagged up saying 'only on certain items and not on stuff already reduced etc etc

Did you get one in the end? I tried a few bids on their ebay site (both on the 'A' and the 'B' ones) and they just got auto-rejected. They're less than £100 including VAT on their main site, so unless I'm missing something their "clearance" prices are bonkers.

hi dev. no, done the same as you, also checked the main site. as you said. a ton with vat. which still seems ok. may leave for a bit now as i got a couple of kits for xmas.

hi dev. no, done the same as you, also checked the main site. as you said. a ton with vat. which still seems ok. may leave for a bit now as i got a couple of kits for xmas.

Cheers.. Ordered one off their main site today.. Was tempted to get two, but the second can wait a while.

Got a mail off ebay to say someone bought one of the reconned ones for 120-odd quid (ex. delivery iirc) .. Mine was 95 including delivery - ebay buyers are nuts

Cheers.. Ordered one off their main site today.. Was tempted to get two, but the second can wait a while.

Got a mail off ebay to say someone bought one of the reconned ones for 120-odd quid (ex. delivery iirc) .. Mine was 95 including delivery - ebay buyers are nuts

good man. mite do the same next week. least have a chance to mess about with it as in filling it up . how clumsy . can i drag the thing down the cellar. what size grain bag i. need etc. cheers

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30639

Did these mods and also by passed the thermal cutout inside.

Don't be afraid to make a cheeky offer if you see one on nisbetts ebay clearance. Like I say they accepted 50 quid from me :)

Make sure you get a 40 litre to avoid it spilling out during boil

@davereal Is there a separate eBay account for Nesbits clearance? I can only see But It Now for £95 on their listing

Latest posts

Back