Disabled brewer seeking advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworkmaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all this might be a bit rambling so please bear with me.

My body is shot to bits , very bad accident as a teen which has deteriated over the years (26 years ago ) to the point I need crutches to mobilise and the real crux for brewing is moving the heavy fermentation bin 40 pint kits .

Im thinking that making small batches in a demijohn or similar would be much more manageable.
Now if I'm correct I need to head down the BIAB ( brew in a bag ) route ? .

I have seen several small kits where all grain etc needed is provided but this seems bloody expensive compared even to 2can kits in the volume of end product.

Am I right that day I find an AG recipe for 5 gallons , divide that by 5 and off I go , yes I get that it will be a different end product as I don't have any fancy grainfather whatnot but it should still make something resembling that ?

Volume of water is the one that is really confusing me regarding how much and pot size needed
I need to get a bigger stock pot or big pan ( any recommendations on size best suited etc )
And how much extra water I need for boil off etc.

Looking at buying a few kilos each of different types of grains assuming my assumption of dividing a 5 gallon rec is correct along with different hops etc so I have a stock of bits to use.

Very confused
I love making the kits but with my lad going back to uni and nextdoors lad just starting his first year plus my Mrs is 4ft nothing and can't pick up a full bin it's sending me in a different approach hence looking for small batches.

Edit forgot to mention one thing I have plenty off is time so if it takes longer it's not an issue, just takes me longer to do things unfortunately.

I can't see, why with a winch and a clever pipework, you can't brew full size batches. If you go down to brew smaller batches, you still have to move around heavyish pots, and you have to do the same amount of cleaning, which is the most exhausting part in the whole process, at least in my opinion.

I can't see, why with a winch and a clever pipework, you can't brew full size batches. If you go down to brew smaller batches, you still have to move around heavyish pots, and you have to do the same amount of cleaning, which is the most exhausting part in the whole process, at least in my opinion.
Think Mrs might murder me if I bought an engine hoist to move the beer lol ;)

Have you thought of just splitting the 5 gallon kit across 4 or 5 smaller fermenting buckets. I’ve split batches into several smaller plastic Jerry cans before. I found the picture in an old post!

B441ECB2-232B-484D-896F-48A2A03E3E70.jpeg

These were 10-litre plastic jerry cans.

Hmm that's an idea , I was looking at the brewferm kits as they tend to be smaller batches as well.
Splitting kit would also let me play with different yeast strains , I was a chef so experimenting with things is something I love to do.
It's chutney season here , made 5 kilos so far lol, think the neighbors will be getting some soon , bloody tomatoes and chillies comming out my ears

You wouldn’t necessarily have to brew smaller kits.

You could use a 10-litre bucket, add the extract, add some boiling water to dissolve as you would for a full volume batch, top up with cold water to whatever volume you can handle (and cool the hot wort in case of spillage). Then divide the wort between your Jerry cans using a funnel and top up each Jerry with cold water to the final volume. Divide the yeast between the number of Jerry cans.

Splitting kit would also let me play with different yeast strains , I was a chef so experimenting with things is something I love to do.
It's chutney season here , made 5 kilos so far lol, think the neighbors will be getting some soon , bloody tomatoes and chillies comming out my ears
Absolutely. In fact the split batch I made was so I could try different hops in each Jerry.

If you want to brew small batches I can recommend trying out Brewfather, it has a BIAB setting in equipment/systems.
Then you can make your own recipes.
it will calculate your water volume.

My disability is mainly in me head, but the same accident also all but broke me spine so I'm increasingly having mobility issues (spinal disc prolapses and the like). So, I've had to work around brewing difficulties.

Sack trollies, sack trucks, pumps (food-safe diaphragm pumps are gentle on finished beer, although they don't sound like it!), all play a part. A hoist (portable?) would be nice (they can have other uses than just beer!).

"All-in-one" systems are a boon (although they need a bit of figuring out to be sure they really are "all-in-one" and not "all-in-two" - plus the fermenter). Any all-in-one system can be used like BIAB, it's how I use my Grainfather (the "pilot -brewery"!).
Think Mrs might murder me if I bought an engine hoist to move the beer lol ;)
As a long-term solution (mine took two or three years to assemble, and I'm still tweaking it!), if you've the space, and if you've got access to the cash/assistance, this (clever pipework) is by far the best idea. Equipment permanently plumbed in. Pumps to transfer liquids. Etc. I'm still working on my "clean-in-place" setups to make them less "manual" (some "CIP" is essential now 'cos the equipment can't be moved). And I'm looking into "no chill cooling" to ease up some of the transfers (boil to fermenter) - and spread the timings to over two days instead of one, though that might not be an issue with you? I could do with organising some hopper arrangement to load grain into the mashtun.

The fermenter has its spot too 'cos it can't be moved (at-all once filled). Currently rigging up the temporary overhead transfer pipes is a pain; roll on sorting out the "no chill cooling"!

But the arrangement allows me to brew up to 65L at a time. I couldn't contemplate making <20L at a time!

The bit most people have difficulty with is: Don't give up! There's always a way.

Unfortunately I'm fairly limited for room , with a corner of the kitchen and small shed , garden ,preserving plus 3 adopted kids = naff all room , one off to uni but room still occupied by his brother , think he would be miffed if I turfed his gaming pc out for a brew setup , tempting as it is lol I need to wait another 5 years for him to head to uni lol.
It has been threatened though ;)

Ohh ... I'll have to try another as I'm picking up a few likes for the last one 😁

This one 'cos I've just been using it yet had neglected to mention it.

A big (industrial size) wet-n-dry vacuum cleaner. Having permanently plumbed in containers (but any heavy free-standing container for that matter) are awkward to fully empty. But easy with a wet-n-dry vacuum cleaner! Empty just the dregs, not a full bucket, or it won't last long.

And if you're worried about getting the readies for a brewery tool, you can pass it off as an essential carpet cleaning/shampooing accessory.

Unfortunately I'm fairly limited for room , with a corner of the kitchen and small shed , garden ,preserving plus 3 adopted kids = naff all room , one off to uni but room still occupied by his brother , think he would be miffed if I turfed his gaming pc out for a brew setup , tempting as it is lol I need to wait another 5 years for him to head to uni lol.
It has been threatened though ;)
My brewery got built into an unwanted downstairs loo.

But I can't recommend being disabled and trying to make stuff fit in a tiny space. It's actually fine, but when something needs "fixing" or "modifying", it's a flippin' nightmare. The "bar" where the output is served from is crammed into the unusable space under the stairs. I just can't help myself!

Last edited:
I’m (reasonably) able bodied but still don’t like lifting heavy stuff. All my kit for brew day is mounted on bespoke trollies and stored in the garage and doesn’t require any lifting to set up for brew day.
Pumps and hoses are essential to me for moving hot water and wort from one vessel to another.
What space will you use to store your kit as this might have an influence on your equipment options?

Just remember every 5 gallon batch you make and drink saves you +£100 on pub prices so you can convince the OH the sense in buying more brewing equipment :laugh8:

I have a very weak back- ruined when in my 20s so i have to be careful. The way I do it. Sterilise the bucket. Fill with water and treat with a campden tablet overnight (done in the bath). Next day remove 3-4 ltr of water next day, heat that on the stove, in a large container then pour in the malt. Lift the remaining water and bucket onto a table, then add the dissolved malt. When it has cooled add the yeast. After its fermented I syphon the beer into bottles. It works for me. The only problem you couldhave is lifting the remaining bucket and its 3.5 gall contents onto the table but that could be split.

I’m (reasonably) able bodied but still don’t like lifting heavy stuff. All my kit for brew day is mounted on bespoke trollies and stored in the garage and doesn’t require any lifting to set up for brew day.
Pumps and hoses are essential to me for moving hot water and wort from one vessel to another.
What space will you use to store your kit as this might have an influence on your equipment options?

Just remember every 5 gallon batch you make and drink saves you +£100 on pub prices so you can convince the OH the sense in buying more brewing equipment :laugh8:
When not in use it's stored in the shed though as eldest was home during summer it's been in pretty much constant use , he has 2 pressure barrels full at his new digs and 20l raspberry hard seltzer in bottles.
That should see them through the first 48h dohhhhh

I have a very weak back- ruined when in my 20s so i have to be careful. The way I do it. Sterilise the bucket. Fill with water and treat with a campden tablet overnight (done in the bath). Next day remove 3-4 ltr of water next day, heat that on the stove, in a large container then pour in the malt. Lift the remaining water and bucket onto a table, then add the dissolved malt. When it has cooled add the yeast. After its fermented I syphon the beer into bottles. It works for me. The only problem you couldhave is lifting the remaining bucket and its 3.5 gall contents onto the table but that could be split.
Been doing similar on the old utility table , it's kind of manageable however I know my legs and back are deteriorating rapidly , likely to be stuck in a wheelchair in next 4/5 years max so hoping to get a method down and solid before that happens ;(

My body is shot to bits , very bad accident as a teen which has deteriated over the years (26 years ago ) to the point I need crutches to mobilise and the real crux for brewing is moving the heavy fermentation bin 40 pint kits .
Im thinking that making small batches in a demijohn or similar would be much more manageable.
Now if I'm correct I need to head down the BIAB ( brew in a bag ) route ? .
Member @Manxnorton lost the use of one arm when he had a stroke he may have some tips when he sees this.

Latest posts

Back