can I use out of date yeast ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm707

Reaction score
Hi. I have a few sachets of safale s33 yeast which is just about on its use by date.
Can I use it after this date and if so should I keep them in the freezer for now ?

Many thanks

its risky but before you use them just rehydrate first. If they don't ferment youll have to add another yeast within 48 hrs. Keeping them frozen wont make any difference at all

The viability of the yeast will depend on how well it's been stored. Keep it in the fridge. If you rehydrate the yeast before pitching this should give you an idea of how healthy it is. I wouldn't pitch it in the beer without checking it out like this first.

I would say be careful....I havnt made alcohol with out of date yeast but I have made bread with out of date yeast and it just didnt rise.

as suggested above, make a yeast culture to see if it is live.... warm water (200ml-ish) 1 tablespoon sugar, yeast.... leave it in a warm place for a day or so, if it froths up and looks active, great; if not, its dead and youll need to replace. :)

I wouldn't put sugar in. Just pitch in warm water (100ml per 10g of yeast) around 35C in a sanitised jug and leave for half an hour to an hour, covered. It should get a foam on top. Maybe pitch two packets.

Back