AG#2 stovetop brew two

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after trying Clibit's suggestion for an all grain stovetop brew, I was delighted with the results!

I went into my LHBS yesterday (www.Brewstore.co.uk) and opened a grain account.
Basically you buy a 25kg sack of grain and can then 'call-off' of that 25kg in any quantity or variety you choose.
I can away with 2x 2kg pale malt + 0.5kg Crystal.
All crushed ready to go.

So, set about it this afternoon with my £15 eBay 15L pot & mashing bag.
Mashed with 8L, strike temp 75, 69 once the grain (one of my 2.25kg bags) was in & mixed.
Wrapped it in a towel for an hour and it was between 68&68 at the end.
I stirred at 30 mins as I happened to notice it was halfway through.
I tipped the wort into a 25L FV And added 5 L of 80 C water for a10ish minutes (had to do Daddy duty so didn't time that accurately!)
Now in the pot, just come to the boil.
30g Fuggles used for bittering, with two 12g loads of Cascade to go in at 15 mins and 5 mins (I think, any advice?)

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432391920.698674.jpg

I make that around 60 IBUs, which is pretty high. You ok with that?

Ah, my Fuggles are 5.7. That makes the IBUs around 45, so I'd stick to your plan. I like 45 IBUs!

There is something wonderful about that picture. :)

I wish I'd found a fifteen litre pot before I bought my 12l one from Wilkos.

Looks like Wilko don't do the 15L pot any more. That is a shame, as the 15L pot I picked up 18 months ago has been just the job.

I see there are Buckingham pots at 15L and 19L that are only a google away, but they are a bit more expensive.

Be careful with the Buckingham pots, they don't hold what they usually claim to hold.

Here's s link to the one I bought.
Very thin, but very cheap!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400601314534

Yes I saw those right after I replied to the thread. Look like a fair bargain, but to be honest, I think the good lady might clonk me on the head with it if I turned up with another giant pot. Since Christmas, I have been gradually filling the house up with buckets and barrels and brewing paraphernalia. :)

I can get by with my 12l pot - just. It would be better to have another 3l capacity though. I'm keeping a running tally on money spent on gear. I'm at £320 since Christmas not counting consumables and the stuff I have is mostly plastic tat, not the lovely boilers and other semi-pro brewing gear I see on here at times.

The stockpot is now £19.99 :-(
I paid £12.99 for a 13L pot off Amazon but it was like thick tin foil so I sold it locally within a week.I didn`t even bother trying it as I though a 60 minute boil would kill it :lol:
What weight is yours?

I've got the 15l one of those, has done the trick for me but only 4-5 hob top brews done so can't say how long it will last

This has turned out rather good I bottled before I went on two weeks holiday and left it conditioning.
I chucked a couple in the fridge when I hit back and tried one, but it had no carbonation!
Trying another one tonight and it's lovely!

Be careful with the Buckingham pots, they don't hold what they usually claim to hold.

I bought the 16L one from Amazon. Great quality pot, absolutely solid and I love the laser etchings on the inside every half litre but... they stop at 15L. 16L would be level with the brim (unusable).

@ceejam - where did you get that small demi? At the LHBS? That looks a handy size for any extra on smaller batches.

Back