My wife hates forums

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfosteruk

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been a lurker for some time now and thought it was about time to say hi and contribute a little now I've a bit of an understanding of the HB world.

I'm John as the Avatar implies and I live in Plymouth in the sunny South West.

I've dabbled a number of times over the years, made 1 brew, having not really got fully 'into' the process, not been impressed with the results and given up for a year or 3.

The Present Mrs Foster (official title) had been nagging :hmm: sorry, cajoling me into getting seriously into it for a while and I took the plunge, bought some beer gear and did a cider and a porter kit from Muntons to be ready for Christmas last year. Lots of research to get a nice understanding of the process and I really enjoyed it. The OCD John kept a diary/log of the brews and the porter was outstanding, but not too keen on the cider.

Since then I've pretty much consistently always had something in the FV or the DJ, currently there's a Coopers stout that's been in the pressure barrel for about 3 weeks (and tastes awesome already - it's going to be hard to leave it for any more time,) a turbo cider still climbing out of the FV and 5 demijohns of wine on the go:

1. Tea and raisin wine - about ready for the bottle
2. Fruit teabag wine - strawberry and mango with red grape juice - about ready for the bottle
3. Wurzels Orange Wine - well cleared but leaving in the DJ for a while longer to degass over time
4. Fruit teabag wine - cherry and cinnamon with red grape juice - about ready for the bottle
5. Another tea and raisin wine - currently churning away 24 hours after pitching yeast yesterafternoon

Needless to say TPMF (you know who I mean) is cursing herself for ever mentioning it as this is a pattern with me - I dip tentatively into something, find a forum, obsess, it consumes my life and she's left saying "All I asked for was a simple......" while I add yet another time consuming but fun hobby to the list of things to juggle!

I've learned a fair bit about the mechanics of this HB lark in the last 6 months and I think it's time to give some back - pitching in with noobs, sharing ideas and recipes etc.

And a particular thanks to Chippy_Tea, I've come across loads of useful threads/discussions but your posts have been super helpful.

I'll be seeing you all around.
JF

Absolutely Rob, just let's hope nothing I make ends up tasting like their swill :) totally not a fan.

I was planning an epic post about what I've done so far/my experiences/problems/successes etc in the hope that it's useful, and also so folks can set me straight were I've gone wrong. Keep an eye out for it mate, it'll all be in there.

Back