Orange Peel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyn2001

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using some bitter Orange peel in a Pale Ale, has anyone tried it?

I was wondering how much to use and when?

I haven't, but this is a very popular recipe from another forum:

Orange Citra Pale Ale

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.042
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.29 %
Colour (SRM): 3.2
Bitterness (IBU): 36

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes:
1.750 kg Pale Malt (95.89%)
0.075 kg Flaked Oats (4.11%)

Boil for 60 minutes:
2.5 g Gypsum @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
7 g Magnum Leaf (14.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
7 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
Peel of Half an Orange @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
7 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.6 g/L)

Ferment at 18-20°C with Safale US-05

Is it the Curacao stuff?
I'am going to use about 3 gram for 4/4.5 ltrs , added with 5 minutes of the boil left.

Curacao is a bitter orange peel.

Yes, I was going to, but then noticed my stock is sweet orange peel and seems that is used in these recipes. Might go to Home Brew shop and get some curacao and use that earlier in the mash.

My aim is to try and get a citrusy beer without US hops ( as there is a big shortage at the mo), and thinking of going commercial....so need to find some other ways to get a citrusy US style beer.

So, going to use Magnum hops only for bittering, then going to use Orange peel for flavour and aroma, and see what happens.

Unless anyone knows of any hops that are citrusy but not from US, NZ or Japan?

There's not that big a shortage! US and NZ hops are on sale all over the place.

You can get a certain amount of citrus from European hops though. Bobek, Aurora and Styrian Goldings for example. Mandarina Bavaria are supposedly citrusy. You can also get German Cascade now.

You thinking of using orange peel instead of hops on a commercial scale to brew a citrusy beer?

Only for flavour and aroma, going to use hops for bittering....obviously I am trying a homebrew first to see if it works :)

I used orange peel in my wheat beer i did a while ago, didnt add anything to it as far as i was concerned, no additional citrusy zing at all!

tried an apa today with my usual recipe and at the last five minutes of the boil I threw in the rind of an orange and a lemon to compare with the brew without the rind :cheers:

20150603_180509.jpg

I'd recomnend Pioneer hops in a pale ale to get to 'citrusy'. One of the nicest pales I've made so far this year was single hopped with the stuff.

Back