Brown or clear?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about beer becoming lightstruck.
I'm most of the literature we read we are warned of this condition when the uv hits the hops and makes beer go bad and that we should use brown glass to avoid it.
But how come some beers come in clear glass (old speckled hen for one), are they treated somehow to avoid this?
What about a clear glass FV like a demijohn or carbuoy? How are these not effected?

Light beers are much more likely to be affected apparently, think i read that on the innes and gunn website. If you leave a Demi john or carboy in direct sunlight you will get problems, it can kill the yeast for starters so light striking could be the last of your worries.

Are the beers that come in clear glass quite well known, so the turnaround would be quite quick.

I'm sure things like OSH would move from the shelves quite fast compared to some of the other beers. I'm not sure how long it takes for light to affect the beer, but I am surprised that something like Old Hoppy Hen comes in clear bottles.

Light beers are much more likely to be affected apparently, think i read that on the innes and gunn website. If you leave a Demi john or carboy in direct sunlight you will get problems, it can kill the yeast for starters so light striking could be the last of your worries.

I did not know that. Good to know, obviously.

Strange I was about to ask if it was ok to put brew in Newcastle brown bottles coz they are clear...but I have some,sounds good tho if you have to drink it quick yeehah

Lol, I was going to mention the supermarket shelves. What about those old faithful ten green bottles standing on the wall? I can only recall seeing stella in green recently. It'd be interesting to know if there is any sciencey stuff with regards to glass colours.

Back