Any extract or simple kits like Broadside?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcunnell

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey guys
I am just planning on starting my next brew, and I would really like to brew something as similar as possible to my absolute favorite beer of all time - the majestic Adnams Broadside.
The thing is I don't know all that much about beers/ales to be honest (I just know I like drinking them!!) so if I'm honest I don't know what you'd really classify Broadside as!? Could it be a ruby perhaps?
Anyway - I have a little experience and had some success with extract brewing, so I was wondering if any of you chaps might happen to know of a good kit or recipe that might result in something similar to a Broadside? Any suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Think there is a Graham Wheeler recipe for this in his book that probably has an extract version, don't have it to hand though. There is a difference between the bottle and draught version though not sure which the GW recipe compares to. For such a big fruity ale I imagine choice of yeast is quite important too

Hey thanks very much for this. I think I do have the Graham Wheeler book at home actually - forgot about that one!! :) I will have a look tonight when I get in.

Good point on there being two different versions. Although I have always thought they tasted almost indistinguishable - to me anyway, but then I am by no means a seasoned drinker of these fine ales! I know the bottled version has a much higher ABV though. To be honest I don't mind which version I copy. But I'd love to come up with something even remotely like it!

Interesting article here on the difference and also some hints as to brewing method which are probably quite important, specifically the bit about mashing regime which implies a higher mash temp to give added sweetness. The Adnams yeast has a very distinct flavour so as mentioned previously I think yeast choice would be key as well, there is a Southwold yeast available from white labs now or if you get one of their mini kegs you can harvest yeast from those and make a starter from it unfortunately I don't think any of the beers are bottle conditioned. I got some yeast from one of their ghost ship kegs and it worked very well (up until the krausen went mouldy!), broadside is also a favourite of mine and will be interested to hear how you get on
http://adnams.co.uk/about/news/beer...cask-and-bottle-whats-the-difference-and-why/

You could get close to the real thing with an extract brew based on the Adnams info and using yeast from an Adnams mini keg.

Steep chocolate and black malt, remove grains, add water and pale dry extract and boil with First Gold hops. What strength do you want, cask or bottle?

Here is a partial mash recipe for the bottle strength version which could be done relatively easily using a small mash before adding extract and hops and then boiling. Adding some Maris Otter will improve the malt flavour and the head, and just requires temperature control.

I'm not sure how they get it so dark without there being too much high roast flavour, maybe they use a dark caramel syrup. 100g each of choc and black may be too roasty, and not dark enough. 45EBC is not as dark as Broadside, I think. You could drop both roast malt amounts and add some Carafa III, perhaps, this is a dark German malt with less roast flavour. Or you could steep a larger quantity of black malt overnight in cold water.

If you don't want to mash then leave out the Maris Otter and reduce the batch to 19 litres. Just steep the roast grains in a couple of litres of lukewarm water for 30 mins and add the liquid to your boil with half the extract.

Adnams Broadside

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.061
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.23 %
Colour (SRM): 22.8 (EBC): 44.9
Bitterness (IBU): 31.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

3.000 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (71.43%)
1.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (23.81%)
0.100 kg Black Malt (2.38%)
0.100 kg Chocolate (2.38%)

30.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
30.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Mash at 68°C for 45 - 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 20°C with WLP025 - Southwold or yeast from an Adnams mini keg. A dried yeast won't really do the beer justice.

Method:

Put the grains in a bag and steep at 68*C for 60 mins. Move to a colander on top of the pot and rinse with near boiling water from a kettle, then top up to 10 litres or more.

Stir in half the extract and add the bittering hops and bring to the boil. Boil for one hour adding Irish moss 15 mins before the end and aroma hops 5 mins before the end.

Switch off and cool in the sink.

Transfer to FV via a sterilised sieve, stir in the rest of the extract thoroughly and top up to 23 litres. Pitch yeast around 20C. Keep the temp as close to 20C as you can, particularly for the first few days.

I think I'm right in saying that acid malt is just pale malt which has been sprayed with lactic acid. You can mash and you'll get both the fermentatbles from the malt and a lowering of the PH due to the lactic. With an extract recipe, I think you'd be fine just steeping the malt to get the benefit of the lactic acid. Or alternatively just using lactic acid.

I've dropped the acid malt and edited the above post - I don't think it's necessary. And I'm doubtful about whether they actually use it.

Here is a partial mash recipe for the bottle strength version which could be done relatively easily using a small mash before adding extract and hops and then boiling. Adding some Maris Otter will improve the malt flavour and the head, and just requires temperature control.......

Hi Clibit

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I've not tried brewing with a mash before, so really up for giving this one a try. And especially if it results in anything similar to the mighty Boradside!

Sorry but I just have a couple of what are probably fairly dumb questions!! Just on the malts, should I get whole or crushed?? Does it matter?

And I don't seem to be able to get the White Labs Southwold yeast anywhere (WLP 025). Could you recommend a website perhaps? I normally use BrewUK who I have to say are really good. But they don't have it.

Thanks again!

You'll have to get crushed, unless you've got a grain mill at home.

If you can't find anywhere that stocks it (can't say I've seen it on sale myself) I would e-mail some shops and see if they can order them in (I know The Malt Miller does this).

Ah thanks MyQul that is interesting!
This sort of leads me to wonder about harvesting yeast from Adnams mini kegs. This sounds like a great idea but I don't know if sounds really difficult!!? Has anyone done much of this, and if so is there a guide anywhere maybe?

Yous probably get a pitchable amount from a mini keg, no? Never done that myself.

Yous probably get a pitchable amount from a mini keg, no? Never done that myself.

I think your probably right. Depends on how much is in the keg and how much is harvestable. Never having been near a mini keg I wouldn't know. I think at a minimum it would be advisable to do a starter with the harvested yeast to freshen it up

Have a look here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54085

harvesting from the keg was easy

-prepare sterilised jar or flask with DME solution (100g per litre cooled boiled water) be sure to leave space for krausen
-drink mini keg (best part!)
-swirl the dregs around for a minute or 2 and then open tap with keg tilted and pour straight into starter (there was quite a lot of sediment in my keg and I suspect that you could get away with pitching direct but starter is a safer bet)
-loosely cover jar/flask and allow to ferment out at 20deg for about a week
-pour off liquid and pitch slurry

I made a litre of starter split between 2 jars and had enough slurry from 1 jar (500ml starter) to pitch into a 10L brew

The thread that was linked above sounds accurate, although I found it fermented out very quick (about 5-6days) the krausen certainly does hang around and formed a semi solid cake that eventually went mouldy on the beer I used it for, if I use the yeast again I will rack off the beer to a secondary after 1 week

Latest posts

Back