Blackrock American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Blackrock American pale ale (hybrid). I can of Blackrock APA plus I can Muntons Amber malt (as I had them with an extract kit). The APA malt was very gloopy and I am not sure that that wasn't down to it supposedly having cascade hops added into the malt before canning...we shall see. Pitched at 24 degrees. OG 1044/1046. Taste at brew very bitter, hoppy and fragrant. I am not sure that this will need dry hopping at all if it carried this through fermentation. Probably the most bitter wort at this stage I have tasted. Not unpleasant but you can taste the character in it and it does look like hops floating in it as advertised!

Blackrock American pale ale (hybrid). Probably the most bitter wort at this stage I have tasted. Not unpleasant but you can taste the character in it and it does look like hops floating in it as advertised!

So how has this worked out?

This is the review of this kit without any hop additions but with a can of Muntons Amber Malt added to give it more body. Brewed on 30/07/15 and has been in the bottle for about five days and has cleared nicely. It has a bit fruit smell although very small, and more like a raisin or a bit medical. Carbonation is ok at first but doesn't last at this stage. Taste is mainly sweet at first and quite deep but then has quite a bitter aftertaste. This I sill pretty green so that has to be taken into consideration. However, this at the moment tastes too medical at the moment and needs more time before I can give a more considered review.

Ok, keep us posted!

So the next one is the one with the 25 g of Cascade added and a week longer in the bottle. This is a strong rich beer (maybe the Amber malt addition) with grassy aroma but still abit of medicine too (stringent floor cleaner although milder than the other one), maybe a bit like smelling the hop stems if that makes sense? I wouldn't have said that this was a cascade rich beer if I got it in the pub from the smell. Carbonation was good to excellent at first with a one and a half finger creamy looking head that dissolved and only slight lacing half way through. Taste is rich and sweet with a bitterness at the front of the mouth that lingers. It reminds me of a couple of local scottish bottled beers I have had in the past when I was up there. It is not unpleasent to drink but isn't a session beer at this stage and if I was served it in a pub may well have wondered if their pipes had just been cleaned. On a second smell it also has hints of a tanin high young red wine.

Latest posts

Back