Priming with Flavoured Syrups

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhomebrew

AKA - RobsHomebrew
Reaction score
so im due to prime some beer soon and as its a Raspberry Blonde Lager I will be priming with some raspberry syup. Now my thought is, should I boil the syrup first? to sterilize the syrup or will it be fine to just prime with the syrup straight from the bottle?????

im not so sure theirs a infection risk as I will be using a fresh unopened bottle?? but I did think the preservatives could cause an issue without boiling? ??????? I dont know.

any thoughts? ??

so im due to prime some beer soon and as its a Raspberry Blonde Lager I will be priming with some raspberry syup. Now my thought is, should I boil the syrup first? to sterilize the syrup or will it be fine to just prime with the syrup straight from the bottle?????

im not so sure theirs a infection risk as I will be using a fresh unopened bottle?? but I did think the preservatives could cause an issue without boiling? ??????? I dont know.

any thoughts? ??

I did a cherry prime with polish syrup - from a new bottle no probs.
my syrup had no preservatives. So no harm to the yeast in the bottle.

Priming bottles with syrup didn't make a big difference to the flavour.

2nd time round I used a lot of syrup in the fv (about 3 or so bottles), that was better. To get anything but a tiny tint of flavour there needs to be so much syrup in the bottle you'd get bottle bombs :electric:

other suggests are to just pour a bit of syrup in bottom of glass b4 serving but that's kind of cheating.

I think non-fermentable concentrate with some dextrose is the way to go. Perhaps like these below?

http://msk-ingredients.com/LuxuryAlcoholConcentrates

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Raspberry-Extract.html#.Vb5L8TZRHPQ

ahhhhh yes. sorry maybe I should have also said that iv used 500g of frozen raspberries in the brew as well as using raspberry syrup instead of dextrose ( later being informed the flavour from the syrup wouldn't survive the fermentation ) Derrrrrrrrrrrrr. well you live and learn anyway its certainly given it a lovely pinkish tone to the colour so all is not lost and I have bought a bottle of raspberry concentrate from my local HBS to add to the brew the day before bottling so im hoping ill be left with a nice lager. the idea behind priming with the syrup was 1) it may add to the colour and 2) on top of all the other raspberry additions iv added to the brew it might just add a little more to that raspberry flavour as well. however little. I tried a little out of the FV today and you can certainly taste the fruitiness of the raspberry. its almost fresh. im hoping it'll turn out to be very refreshing.

ahhhhh yes. sorry maybe I should have also said that iv used 500g of frozen raspberries in the brew as well as using raspberry syrup instead of dextrose ( later being informed the flavour from the syrup wouldn't survive the fermentation ) Derrrrrrrrrrrrr. well you live and learn anyway its certainly given it a lovely pinkish tone to the colour so all is not lost and I have bought a bottle of raspberry concentrate from my local HBS to add to the brew the day before bottling so im hoping ill be left with a nice lager. the idea behind priming with the syrup was 1) it may add to the colour and 2) on top of all the other raspberry additions iv added to the brew it might just add a little more to that raspberry flavour as well. however little. I tried a little out of the FV today and you can certainly taste the fruitiness of the raspberry. its almost fresh. im hoping it'll turn out to be very refreshing.

You can add so much syrup that some flavour will will survive the ferment but you get a high abv mine was 8%. I think they should be added as part of of a secondary ferment (in an fv not bottle)

You can add so much syrup that some flavour will will survive the ferment but you get a high abv mine was 8%. I think they should be added as part of of a secondary ferment (in an fv not bottle)

have you ever tried Fruli lager? its a strawberry lager. its absolutely awesome. thats a high abv around 7 or 8%

id love to be able to try and replicate that in a way. if you haven't tried fruli you need to

Latest posts

Back