First Attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unotipo

Reaction score
After doing a few kits over the years today I did my first batch from scratch.

4.5 litres

Malts
500g Brown
500g Munich
500g Crystal

Hour at 155 followed by 10 mins at 170

Sparged

Brought to a rolling boil

Hops
2 table spoons of fuggles for 60 mins
2 tales spoons of willamette for 60 mins
2 table spoons of target at 20 mins
2 table spoons of willamette at 1 min

Cooled to 85 and yeast starter added

No idea what it will be like, but a good learning curve, totally under estimated the total time needed and need to get better equipped for sparging and cooling.

After doing a few kits over the years today I did my first batch from scratch.

4.5 litres

Malts
500g Brown
500g Munich
500g Crystal

Hour at 155 followed by 10 mins at 170

Sparged

Brought to a rolling boil

Hops
2 table spoons of fuggles for 60 mins
2 tales spoons of willamette for 60 mins
2 table spoons of target at 20 mins
2 table spoons of willamette at 1 min

Cooled to 85 and yeast starter added

No idea what it will be like, but a good learning curve, totally under estimated the total time needed and need to get better equipped for sparging and cooling.

I guess you ain't from around these parts?!! Where do you call home mate?

Only in Manchester

The book I was using as a guide was American and did it all in cups and tablespoons, got a bit sick of the cups thing with the malts so just banged in the full 500g bags. Not very scientific I know.

Was of the impression that the Brown Malt was a base malt, is that not the case?

Thanks
Pete

A really good book (and the last time I looked on Amazon it was £3), is Greg Hughes Home Brew Beer. Takes you through every step, and has got some really great recipes (and no tablespoons!)

and for an off the beaten track book "brew better beer" by emma christensen,,,

i should add im not good at following recipes

Brown malt, Munich and crystal are all strongly flavoured grains, you will have a very intense malt flavour that I think will be too much. You really need a pale malt to make up the bulk of your grain. But let us know what it's like.

Only in Manchester

The book I was using as a guide was American and did it all in cups and tablespoons, got a bit sick of the cups thing with the malts so just banged in the full 500g bags. Not very scientific I know.

Was of the impression that the Brown Malt was a base malt, is that not the case?

Thanks
Pete

I didn't realise that the basis for every brew are subtle tweaks of the ingredients. Think of a Guinness and a Blond Ale - the addition of Crystal Malt makes the look and taste so much different. It really does help to get the ingredients correct and keep your measurements the same.

Saying that, I also brewed like you have. It's a great learning curve and while the beer wasn't great, the experience really improved me. Who knows how your beer will turn out, there's only 1 way to find out :)

I'm only a few brews ahead of you BTW but I'm hooked.

All feedback appreciated.

It's very much a learning curve so will see how it goes.

Thanks for those book references, will look out for them.

Think I might experiment with some smaller batches over the next few weeks

DOn't matter you have made a start and every brew is a learning curve, you'll still have some beer even if a little unbalanced.

I agree with Sonnal try a simple AG or a SMASH (single malt and single hop) something simple and easy yet really great.

Totally agree with everyone, experimenting with grains is a great thing to do, you will always learn, and knowledge will lead to great beer.

I wish I'd seen that post by clibit that sonnal referenced earlier before taking the plunge, that is far simpler that the book I was using for guidance!

I've plenty hops left over so going to get some more grain and do some more experimenting.

Thanks everyone

Back