AG #1 HBC Excedingly Good IPA Cascade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
I got the BIAB kit from the HBC a week or so back and spent a fair amount of time faffing with the wort chiller this week, trying to sort out the arrangement suggested by Spapro on the Kit Upgrade thread:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55772&page=5

I had some problems today with the connection to the heating element and also with the outflow connector to the Wort Chiller. The issue with the Wort Chiller connector is simple, in the sense that it fell off after about 5 minutes.

The heating element connector just needed a bit more force, and fortunately SWIMBO was at hand to ram it in a bit further.

Anyway, to summarise how it went, with reference to the "General Set of Guidelines" from HBC. The heading is "Technique":

1. I did not have mashing bag in place before adding grain. this made no difference as I put some grain in the bag and added it OK at 70C

2/3. 4.7kg is LOT of grain and it took a while to stir it in, one bit at a time.

4. I do not know what temp the mash was, but since ambient in the kitchen was 20C, i did not imagine this would be an issue.

5. I mashed for 60 mins, plus the stirring time and bottled the beer I put on 3 weeks previously in the interlude.

6. I think the mash may have been a bit low temps wise and at the end the top bit only just grovelled over 60C

7/8. Dunk sparge (10 mins) went well, using about 5L of water at between 75 and 80C in my 15L Wilko pot. Using a colander to drain, I was able to add most of the sparge water to the boil and then after leaving the bag in the colander until it stopped dripping, I boiled it up on the stove and stuck it in the main boil later.

9. Boil went fine, even indoors. On the gas hob, I leave the pot lid on (!!) throughout the boil with no issues (!!). Today, boiled with no lid, with windows open and the extractor above the hob on lowest setting and this went fine, somewhat to my surprise. Got around 22L post boil. I would add more sparging water next time, for sure.

10. For me, this was the "big unknown" - cooling the wort using the wort chiller and transferring to the FV. This just took ages and was stressful. I had decided to do the chilling outside on the patio, because I had premonitions of liquid swirling around the kitchen, and that does not get many Brownie points.

The outflow was to go into a spare FV - no problems there, even when the connector to the outflow side of the wort chiller fell off. Just lift up the boiler and hook the copper tubing over the side of the FV. It must have taken well over an hour and 50 L of water, run slowly through the chiller to bring down the temp to mid 20's C.

I dropped the outflow water into SWMBO's water butt, from the FV via a washing up bowl (15L L of hot water 5 feet in the air is not a great prospect).

Used the "decant"" method of jugging the coolled wort into the FV through a sieve and a further bag. Did half downstairs and added the contents of a very badly dented Coopers APA can, then added the rest upstairs, where I do the fermenting. I did not fancy carrying 23kg upstairs in one go. 2x 12kg - no issue. Added water to 27.5L. Since this is the Cooper fermenter, with krausen collar, this should be fine.

11. Pitched using a re-used US 05 (9 of 11 stored under green beer for some weeks now). This shot out the bottle and had a bit of a sulphurous smell, but too late to worry now.

I did no starting gravity readings as I was pretty releived just to be finished and on with the clearing up. I would expect something in the 6.5% ABV range. This is a pretty special brew for me, and as I had to use up the dented can quickly, this is my "strong Xmas beer".

Blimey that sounds like a remarkable brew day! So you added a kit can to a full size AG brew? Why not use the yeast that came with the HBC kit?

on point 2/3. I used to do this. Carefully making sure the grain is sprinkled evenly on the top of the mash liquor then stirred in to make sure no dough balls formed. Then another lot of grain carefully sprinkled, etc, etc. It would take AGES until I read about using a balloon whisk.
Basically, just chuck your grain in the mash liquor as fast as you can then stir/whisk the bejesus out of the the mash with a balloon whisk to break up any dough balls that may have formed. I also use my mash paddle/big wooden spoon to bring grain from the bottom of the pot to the top to check for dough balls too. All in all it takes me about 5 mins max to dough in 5kg of grain.

What a brew day, nice right up

Sounds like chilling outside was a good call.

I was also surprised you added the coopers kit as well ?

on point 2/3. I used to do this. Carefully making sure the grain is sprinkled evenly on the top of the mash liquor then stirred in to make sure no dough balls formed. Then another lot of grain carefully sprinkled, etc, etc. It would take AGES until I read about using a balloon whisk.
Basically, just chuck your grain in the mash liquor as fast as you can then stir/whisk the bejesus out of the the mash with a balloon whisk to break up any dough balls that may have formed. I also use my mash paddle/big wooden spoon to bring grain from the bottom of the pot to the top to check for dough balls too. All in all it takes me about 5 mins max to dough in 5kg of grain.

Of course, I have a Balloon Whisk, bought for the purpose and have got out of the habit of using it.

Funny how the mind goes blank in a new and strange situation.

What a brew day, nice right up

Sounds like chilling outside was a good call.

I was also surprised you added the coopers kit as well ?

The can got badly damaged due to being sent without protective packaging via click and collect from Tesco. When I complained, they sent replacements (3 in all). So I wanted to use it before it degraded and as I will not be brewing again for a couple of weekends, I lobbed it in.

Other excuses are getting a Xmas type brew on and worried about efficiencies and "why not do 27L as the big fermenter is free".

I also did not want any nasty wort chiller type surprises inside, so having an outside tap connected to a hose, with fittings, it was an obvious move. Good one too, water everywhere, including kex (trousers, for those without Mancunian ancestry).

Blimey that sounds like a remarkable brew day! So you added a kit can to a full size AG brew? Why not use the yeast that came with the HBC kit?

Also a good question,

The starter brew for the re-used US 05 was pitched 31 May, so will have been decanted carefully under green beer into 250ml bottles in mid June.

Have not had any problems with these and they all set off quite quickly for this yeast strain.

I may chuck the remaining ones now and use a new sachet for the next brew in 2-3 weeks time.

Any thoughts?

It was just that you said it shot out of the bottle etc, maybe safer to use the new sachet? I've used stored yeasts older than that, but always have a sniff and check it seems ok. And have a standby.

It was just that you said it shot out of the bottle etc, maybe safer to use the new sachet? I've used stored yeasts older than that, but always have a sniff and check it seems ok. And have a standby.

Ah, the voice of experience...

Take note, newbies!

I'd of done that, but was a bit distracted, what with bits falling off wort chillers and bad boiler connectors.

Hey ho - see how it goes if there is a next time.

If?! The yeast was probably fine. Just pressure in the bottle. Sulphur isn't unusual i think.

If?! The yeast was probably fine. Just pressure in the bottle. Sulphur isn't unusual i think.

OK, more like "when" than "if", but I do have a number of kits yet.

It seems to be fermenting away fine now.

Am resurrecting this thread now as I have just started drinking this in earnest. Very good indeed, is the only way to describe it. Great flavour, aroma and feel. Well carbonated, but with poor head creation and retention, possibly as I cleaned up the wort chiller before use.

Well worth the effort. So, very pleased with this and have ordered a 15L fermenter with a view to doing smaller AG brews on their own. Up to now, I have been adding a kit and brewing out to 25L or so.

I quite enjoy the routine of stove top brewing as it can be chilled in the sink (though may add the wort chiller as well) and 12-15L is easier to move up stairs than 25L. Plus I know the routine now and do bottling / racking of other brews and ironing of shirts during the "down" times - mashing, boiling, cooling. All done in about 5 hours.

When I am happier with cooling, then full size AG using the Peco Boiler is the next phase!

Back