Centennial and Mosaic

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Centennial is pretty much my favourite hop. Great in any type of ale. A Centennial only pale ale or IPA is great. And it works really well in brown ales, porters, red ales and stouts too. Rounded citrus, lovely. Not used my Mosaic yet but i've drunk Mosaic beers, and it has a complex fruity flavour. I'm no good at describing these flavours.

Centennial is pretty much my favourite hop. Great in any type of ale. A Centennial only pale ale or IPA is great. And it works really well in brown ales, porters, red ales and stouts too. Rounded citrus, lovely. Not used my Mosaic yet but i've drunk Mosaic beers, and it has a complex fruity flavour. I'm no good at describing these flavours.

Nice, i tried a pint called Mosaic the other day really nice flavour, loved it! Im thinking of trying some centennial next.

Do you have a recipe for the centennial only pale ale, sounds one id like to try

I have a great IPA recipe that I can vouch for, but I can also provide a pale ale recipe.

The IPA is here (10 litres, double everything for 20L):

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53516

Centennial Pale Ale

Batch Size (L): 21.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.039
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.83 %
Bitterness (IBU): 23.2 (Average)

3.000 kg Pale Malt (84.51%)
0.300 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (8.45%)
0.250 kg Caramalt (7.04%)

7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
5g Irish Moss @ 15 mins
Tsp Gypsum in mash
Tsp gypsum in boil

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 20°C with Nottingham/Gervin

You could increase the ABV with more pale malt, and/or the IBUs with more 60 minute hops.

I have a great IPA recipe that I can vouch for, but I can also provide a pale ale recipe.

The IPA is here (10 litres, double everything for 20L):

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53516

Centennial Pale Ale

Batch Size (L): 21.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.039
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.83 %
Bitterness (IBU): 23.2 (Average)

3.000 kg Pale Malt (84.51%)
0.300 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (8.45%)
0.250 kg Caramalt (7.04%)

7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
5g Irish Moss @ 15 mins
Tsp Gypsum in mash
Tsp gypsum in boil

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 20°C with Nottingham/Gervin

You could increase the ABV with more pale malt, and/or the IBUs with more 60 minute hops.

Thats sounds great thanks ill def give that a go at some point. Have you got the Pale malt recipe as well

It's not essential but pale ales are generally brewed with water high in sulphates, gypsum is calcium sulphate. It's your first AG, don't worry about it. But get Irish moss, or protofloc or whirfloc, they are the same thing and they help to make the beer clear.

Nice, i tried a pint called Mosaic the other day really nice flavour, loved it! Im thinking of trying some centennial next.

Do you have a recipe for the centennial only pale ale, sounds one id like to try

Mosaic is awesome and my favourite hop so far. Definitely worth trying.

I'm guessing you had a pint of the Adnams one? Surprisingly that is one of my favourite commercial beers. Fortunately I'm in Norfolk too, so it's not too hard to find.

I'm guessing you had a pint of the Adnams one? Surprisingly that is one of my favourite commercial beers. Fortunately I'm in Norfolk too, so it's not too hard to find.

Norfolk is actually my surname - but i do also live in Norfolk bizarrely, the pint was from the golden triangle brewery if i remember correctly

Where in Norfolk are you

It's not essential but pale ales are generally brewed with water high in sulphates, gypsum is calcium sulphate. It's your first AG, don't worry about it. But get Irish moss, or protofloc or whirfloc, they are the same thing and they help to make the beer clear.

Ive done quite a few now and have been using Irish Moss, i shall be getting that pale recipe on the go next week! :cheers:

Norfolk is actually my surname - but i do also live in Norfolk bizarrely, the pint was from the golden triangle brewery if i remember correctly

I shouldn't assume things! Not seen that one, so will look out for it. You should try the Adnams one if you get a chance.

I'm in North Walsham, where abouts are you?

Mosaic is an awesome hop. I have my own mosaic/Amarillo pale ale that has been a big hit with those who have tried it. I'll write up and put in recipe section.

I shouldn't assume things! Not seen that one, so will look out for it. You should try the Adnams one if you get a chance.

I'm in North Walsham, where abouts are you?

Haha I'm near bungay. yes worth looking out for! and i will theres an adnams store nearby so will see if they stock it

Not far away then! Yes, there's never an adnams shop far away. This thread has inspired me to buy another 200g Mosaic.

Centennial and other ingredients turned up today!! Now just got to wait for the FV to be freed and away we go!!!

Latest posts

Back