Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cqr

Reaction score
I've just put 20 litres off asda Apple juice in with a little raspberry juice 40ml
Never had malic acid, so will add it tomorrow
Starting og 1052

I still haven't been able to get Malic Acid. The local place didn't have any and sold out on ebay.
But I'm still a bit confused about using it. Everyone says their cider is acidic and yet the label on Malic Acid says to use in wines lacking in acid.

zlukl.jpg

I used the polish stuff
I wonder if I could use food flavourings, just a silly thought lol
I'am going to add ground cinnamon in the morning

40ml of polish rasp is a very small amount for 22ltr. Did you mean 400ml?

I still haven't been able to get Malic Acid. The local place didn't have any and sold out on ebay.
But I'm still a bit confused about using it. Everyone says their cider is acidic and yet the label on Malic Acid says to use in wines lacking in acid.

zlukl.jpg

Malic acid is naturally found in apples which is why it tends to be used in turbo ciders which may lack acidity as the juice is generally made from desert apples. Try this supplier;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Malic-Aci...hash=item4af4158408:m:mfHY_33cepMDR5zAnl9F4lw

No, I did only use 40ml as I am thinking of adding cinnamon
I only bout the syrup for my wine
Started to pore some in the cider then stopped when I remembered the cinnamon

Well I got malic acid today so put one heaped tea spoon in
Would have thought it would be bubbling lots by now
It's on a very go slow

Never having done it before, and especially since I have a packet of cider yeast sitting in the fridge that needs using up, I was going to have a go at 12 litres of TC using Tesco Everyday Value Apple Juice which is made up from concentrate. I have seen comments on here about using Malic Acid (MA) to promote a malo-lactic fermentation which enhances the flavour in the finished product. I don't have any MA, so does anyone substitute the juice from a few cooking apples, which have a high MA content, rather than use what I assume to be MA powder.
Also some recipes add raisins which I have, but is this for tannin or MA? I was intending to put some strong tea into the mix anyway.
And a final question how long before its likely to be ready. I normally leave my beer at least a month from bottling before I sample.
Ta

I've dun some research, and added 3 more tea spoons, so that's one per gallon
Malic acid

Can you add malic acid just before bottling, or is it wiser to add before fermentation has started?

Nice one mate. Noticed in that write up it recommends racking into another FV for secondary and leave for a further two weeks prior to bottling... Does everyone else do that, or just bottle once fermentation is complete?

I also am wondering that
I was thinking off racking to bottling bucket , then next day strate to bottles
Or same day ??

Once finished, I rack to a carboy to batch prime, then bottle straight away, no hanging about 😃

Latest posts

Back